What OS do you run: XP, Vista, Linux, Mac?
Jul 21, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #121 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You noticed that too.
blink.gif

Pot, meet the kettle.
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #122 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Core Audio HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) allows multiple applications to share the same device, while maintaining ultra-low latency performance. So you could assign channels one through six of a eight-channel output device to a multi-track program, such as Logic Pro 7, while leaving a virtual studio rack like Reason with channels seven and eight.

<snip>

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreaudio/

Thanks, but I don't see how that is any different from using ASIO on a PC. In fact, it isn't any different. Only difference is that on a PC I have a choice of a mulitude of soundcards that support ASIO.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #123 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OSX is my preferred platform. I have converted my wife and kid's computers to Linux. They like the fact that it always works. I been in the computer (software) business for over 20 years and I have seen too many Windows issues at work and I don't want to deal with that at home
wink.gif

Your kids like being converted to an OS that has dismal game support? How old are your kids? Do they play games? No gamer in his right mind would use any of those OS's exclusively. On top of that, setting up Windows is infinitely easier than Linux.

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #124 of 360
I use xp pro..but I am trying to move to linux,I've tried kubuntu 7.04 and it seemed very cool to me,and the audio works =) lol

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #125 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pot, meet the kettle.
tongue.gif

Yeah..right
rolleyes.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #126 of 360
Quote:

When it comes to scammers, you bet. I'm not one of those people that believes in, "don't rock the boat". In fact, I'm quite the opposite. Take it or leave it. My 'tude wasn't directed at you anyway so don't see why you care. It was directed at the likes of Apple Computer Corporation.

I know exactly where you are comming from. I used to build computers myself. One was totally dedicated to Mech Warrior I used to love that game.

I hate scammers too, and I do feel that Apple have some realy dodgy policies, but I find the computer as an appliance system works for me. I'm quite happy with what comes out of the box.

Building a custom PC is a very personal decision that takes a lot of care and research. I'd really like to pick options from various lines of hardware, but I enjoy OSX so much that I'm prepared to accept the compromise that is offered.

Mac is very weak in games, but I dont game anymore, my eyes just arent up to it anymore.

It's been a while since I've seen that killer app I just have to have, so my hardware choices are bland. I know for a lot of people DirectX is one of those killer apps. I'm interested in following the technology but dont want it myself.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #127 of 360
Quote:

Because I don't always use headphones. I also have a decent little stereo hooked to my computer and my computer is also hooked to an LCD projector. When I want to watch a movie I watch it being streamed to my projector from my PC. I don't wear headphones when I do that so want/need my PC to be as quiet as possible.

I think it was the Apple G4 Quicksilver, I may be wrong but it was nicknamed 'wind tunnel', Apple really dropped the ball on that one.

I think it's an audiophile thing. Maybe people who don't care about SQ dont mind high levels of background noise. Some of my friends computers howl like wolves, I cant stand it, but they dont seem to notice.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #128 of 360
I used to have a PC that was a bit noisy, thanks to high rpm 80mm fans. I never noticed it much until someone pointed out to me how noisy it was. That set me upon my quest to learn to build a fairly quiet PC. I'm not anal about it like some though. If you use low rpm 120mm fans, quiet PSU like a Seasonic S12 and cut out the blow holes it will be fairly quiet. Video card HSF quality is important too. EVGA puts decent ones on their video cards if you like Nvidia. I just use stock AMD64 CPU HSF. Just orderd Intel E6850 cpu last night so hope that comes with a fairly quiet HSF. My projector fan is actually louder than my PC which has a total of 5 fans running all the time.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #130 of 360
Quote:

And I suppose calling Vista crap and Windows "winblows" is not a 'tude in your view?
cool.gif

Nope. Because those are accurate descriptions since Win95.
smily_headphones1.gif
But as a M$ fanboy you'll never see that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebob
I think it was the Apple G4 Quicksilver, I may be wrong but it was nicknamed 'wind tunnel',...

It was the models right after Quicksilver that were fan noisy, the ones with the 4 holes in the front panel.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #131 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But as a M$ fanboy you'll never see that.

I've only got like 5 various distros of Linux in my closet. True, none of them are installed presently but that's because I don't feel like spending the next two weeks getting it all set up correctly.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #133 of 360
Quote:

I've only got like 5 various distros of Linux in my closet. True, none of them are installed presently but that's because I don't feel like spending the next two weeks getting it all set up correctly.
evil_smiley.gif

I actually don't blame ya. I get tired of constant screwing with OSes my damnself.
mad.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #134 of 360
Quote:

Your kids like being converted to an OS that has dismal game support? How old are your kids? Do they play games? No gamer in his right mind would use any of those OS's exclusively. On top of that, setting up Windows is infinitely easier than Linux.

Whoa there. I think you are getting a tad bit too defensive in this thread.

1) thankfully not all children are drones to video games. Heck, thankfully not all adults are either. Perhaps his children enjoy other things besides video games. Save for very specialized apps and up to the minute game support, Linux and OS X demolish any MS OS period. This is for security, stability and ease of use. So, if games are not an issue, kudos to his family who can enjoy stability, and PLENTY of free games not to mention a handful of decent linux ports. Of course, it is possible to VM some games but whatever.

2) Linux, depending on the distro is much easier to install than Windows. For XP, one needs to install, then one needs to download a ton of updates (like SP2 for instance) then they have to install anti-viral suites, anti-malware suites and a firewall just to be safe going online. But wait! for the most part, the only way to get SP2 for most folks is to....yep! Go online. With Ubuntu, one places the disc in the driver, choose default partition sizes, press a few "enter" keys and done. Safe and ready to use.

With OS X this is even easier but unfair to compare since it always comes with MAC hardware and it mated perfectly for it. Anyone installing OS X on non-Apple hardware is outside the norm and therefore outside the scope of this argument.

As for the Apple screwing their customers with regards to modifying/upgrading...you are seriously misinformed. Sure, the "Mini" may be a closed system, but when you proselytize on and on about your home brew box and your gaming OS you have to understand that 99% of people in this world don't go inside their system and if they need to "upgrade" they take it into a service centre where the techs do the work. Can a Mini be upgraded through Apple? Regarding ram...sure. Same with their notebooks. However, if you want Apples to Apples (heh, pun intended) then you really need to focus on the MacPro you know..their desktop/workstation PC? The one with the big tower, easily opened, easily upgraded, HD...gfx card...ram...now CPU...yep, all that easy easy.

Folks are decently chiming in regarding what they are using and why and so far it has remained civil, but if you continue to antagonize folks, this thread will derail and will get locked. Differing opinions are important, you might not agree but let's stay away from ad hominems.

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #135 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XP here until I'm forced to "upgrade" to Vista. I dread the day.

I share the dread. As much as I don't care for XP with SP2, it's stable and familiar. I would go to Ubuntu if it supported certain of my faves (Media Monkey, Audacity, Total Recorder), but to date it does not.

I do keep a Ubuntu live disk handy for certain uses. It's a great disaster recovery tool, in my opinion. With a thumb drive mounted, I can use Ubuntu to go online and download any files I may need for recovery. This totally saved my bacon about six months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back