What OS do you run: XP, Vista, Linux, Mac?
Jul 19, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #62 of 360
Quote:

Unless you are prepared for the effort in not using MSFT products, articles like these are more inflammatory than useful. There are many article like this and it isn't news. This is not directed at Zanth for pointing out this article, but to the tech journalists that trod out these well worn exposes everytime MSFT unveils a product.

IMO the users of MSFT OS's and products get themselves into a bind because it isn't possible to have an OS that basically takes care of itself (call it OS maintenance automation if you like) without the software keeping track of it's own usage so it can deduce what to update. I don't view this software tracking from the point of view of Big Brother. The users of Microsoft span the gamut of humankind, likewise the permutations of hardware running it are virtually limitless. It's no wonder the EULA is completely open-ended in MSFT's favor, with 10's of millions of users, how could they do otherwise? Call me naive, but I'm not that paranoid.

A user doesn't buy a MSFT software license and is done with it The business model is built not in providing a customer with a functional computer but in using the computer as a channel to the consumer for the selling of goods and services. This is nothing new as far as MSFT practice and it will continue with Vista and anything else they churn out.

I am not an apologist for MSFT and their dubious business practices. Don't like 'em much but they are who they are.

I know computer people that are not MSFT-centric. The gap of understanding and usage for them as compared to the average computer person is not much different than the gap between a head-fier and the average i-Pod user. The learning is out there if there is motivation and desire to do so. Or just get a Mac.

I don't mind bashing MSFT, more for sport now than for news. They almost always deserve it.

Jul 19, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #65 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I speak from experience and have XP and Vista on the same PC. Vista is very speedy for me. Was just using it ten minutes ago and have no issues except lack of EMU 0404 driver. I don't give much credibility to salesman anyway because quite a few of them are nothing but BS artists. Some are genuine but not many.

While I do agree that a lot of salesmen are completely full of crap, in this case it was a salesman/technician in a shop that only sells PCs and PC parts that has a pretty good rep around Perth

The fact he was trying to talk the guy out of spending anything at all impressed me a little. The customer was willing to spend AU$2000 for a high end machine just so he could run Vista, his current machine was too far behind spec. The guy at the counter eventually talked him out of it.

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #66 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonTi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind bashing MSFT, more for sport now than for news. They almost always deserve it.

Yea, that's all I wanted it for was the sport. It helped get me banned for ten days from another forum. Haha.

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #67 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I do agree that a lot of salesmen are completely full of crap, in this case it was a salesman/technician in a shop that only sells PCs and PC parts that has a pretty good rep around Perth

The fact he was trying to talk the guy out of spending anything at all impressed me a little. The customer was willing to spend AU$2000 for a high end machine just so he could run Vista, his current machine was too far behind spec. The guy at the counter eventually talked him out of it.

Well, I fail to see how he did him any favours. Did he sell him a good PC with XP instead at least or did the guy leave the store with no PC at all? For inexperienced PC users Vista is a good OS because of added security levels. Most people won't run under a limited user account even while on the internet and Vista smartly forces that on the consumer. Sure it can be hacked to be jsut like XP if you want but then there are no added security benefits. For the average user Vista is a far better OS than XP. The salesman was wrong, IMO.

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #70 of 360
Vista... regretting it.
frown.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #72 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For inexperienced PC users Vista is a good OS because of added security levels.

The "added security levels" argument is equally bogus.
rolleyes.gif
That's what anti-virus/anti-spy apps are for, and Vista or M$ certainly has no lock on that market.

The fact remains: Vista sucks.
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #75 of 360
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I placed my vote for my favorite and most used OS, Mac OS X. Since I use two of the mentioned ones:
Private: Mac OS 10.4
Work: MS Windows XP Pro
frown.gif

X3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back