What now?
Apr 17, 2006 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TJ Elite

Headphoneus Supremus
I've owned a pair of HD 650s for a few years now and just ordered a pair of K701s which will probably arrive tomorrow. Soon I'm also going to upgrade my CD-player to Musical Fidelity A5. So my set is looking quite nice at this point.
But once I've bought the A5 my next step is to buy a pair of high-end cans. But what are my options? I don't know much about 'phones that are more expensive than the HD 650s. Discontinued K1000s and Stax 'phones are pretty much all that come to my mind. Then there are some brands that I had never heard of before I came to Head-Fi and are still a mystery to me. Searching didn't help me much because I don't know what I'm looking for.

I listen to pretty much any kind of music there is but some genres more than others. Game music rules, but I also listen to many kinds of electronic music, metal, some classical, movie soundtracks, some jazz and sometimes quality pop/rock music - perhaps even some rap.
So basically I'm looking for a can which can perform well with virtually any kind of music. I'm not setting a maximum price limit, but let's say that I'm easily willing to spent 2000€ or more if it seems worth it. I'm going to by the cans new so I'm not interested in used cans. And I'm in no hurry to buy these 'phones because I'm still saving for the A5 and after that I'll start to slowly save for these high-end ones.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Apr 17, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 7
If you like closed cans, the Audio Technica woodies (W2002, W5000, L3000, W1000) are right up there in the high end, along with Sony's CD3000. All these are over $400.

Of course there are electrostatics too....
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 7
ATH-L3000 sounds like a can I'm looking for. Could someone tell me some websites that sell them (Europe preferred) and how much I'm likely going to end up paying for them?

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 7
You're going to have a hard time finding a new L3000 (although I think there may be one on Audiogon right now). But I would not buy that headphone without trying it out first to make sure it's your cup of tea. As many times as I've tried it now, I have STRONGLY disliked it. I much prefer the K701, not to mention basically any Stax offering.

Oh, and to answer your original question, I would look for the AKG K1000, Qualia 010, Sony R10, or get a nice pair of Stax. Omega IIs are good, as are the 4040 and 3030 system (many people prefer those to the Omega IIs because the Omegas are fairly dark sounding). Those 3 dynamics are (in my opinion) head and shoulders above other dynamics, and the Stax are basically your only choice at this point for electrostats (unless you can find an HE60 or HE90).

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
You're going to have a hard time finding a new L3000 (although I think there may be one on Audiogon right now). But I would not buy that headphone without trying it out first to make sure it's your cup of tea. As many times as I've tried it now, I have STRONGLY disliked it. I much prefer the K701, not to mention basically any Stax offering.

Oh, and to answer your original question, I would look for the AKG K1000, Qualia 010, Sony R10, or get a nice pair of Stax. Omega IIs are good, as are the 4040 and 3030 system (many people prefer those to the Omega IIs because the Omegas are fairly dark sounding). Those 3 dynamics are (in my opinion) head and shoulders above other dynamics, and the Stax are basically your only choice at this point for electrostats (unless you can find an HE60 or HE90).

Like I said in my original post I'm not interested in used headphones. But thanks anyway.

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Elite
Like I said in my original post I'm not interested in used headphones. But thanks anyway.

If you're really averse to used, I think the K701 is the best dynamic headphone out right now (admittedly, I really dislike the AudioTechnicas).

You may still be able to find an unused K1000 (I have one that I ordered about a month ago and still haven't taken it out of the box and would consider selling at the right price), but that's about it.

I would try the Stax to get a different flavor. Omega II or 4040 system are pretty close to as good as it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back