What next? Upgrading from Panasonic HTF600-S ~ $120 for both gaming and music
Nov 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Supertoaster

500+ Head-Fier
I have enjoyed these and they are still in working condition but I am looking to upgrade from them and move into lower mid-fi. I searched around for headphones in my price range with the search bar but I haven't been able to find any that way

Here is what I am looking for :)

1. Under $130

2. Super comfortable with velour pads (I have issues with  pleather). Will be using these pretty much all the time. 8+ hours a day. I have a normal sized head and ears. If its not much more I will buy the velour pads seperately.

3. Semi-Open is preferred but will take Open and Closed too.

4. I want them to have some 'life' in them and not be boring and lifeless like some studio monitors.

6. Not too bassy but not lacking, just right

7. I'll bend these rules if its really worth it (except the velour pads). 

8. I will buy from either Amazon, Ebay, or anywhere that takes paypal. I will buy used too.

Thanks for reading this.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I have enjoyed these and they are still in working condition but I am looking to upgrade from them and move into lower mid-fi. I searched around for headphones in my price range with the search bar but I haven't been able to find any that way
Here is what I am looking for :)
1. Under $130
2. Super comfortable with velour pads (I have issues with  pleather). Will be using these pretty much all the time. 8+ hours a day. I have a normal sized head and ears. If its not much more I will buy the velour pads separatley.
3. Semi-Open is preferred but will take Open and Closed too.
4. I want them to have some 'life' in them and not be boring and lifeless like some studio monitors.
6. Not too bassy but not lacking, just right
7. I'll bend these rules if its really worth it (except the velour pads). 
8. I will buy from either Amazon, Ebay, or anywhere that takes paypal. I will buy used too.

Could try the Technical Pro HPT990, $70 at Digbuy.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 11
Used Sennheiser HD558.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Used Sennheiser HD558.

Hmm, Definitely will look into it. Saw another user say they are awesome for the type of music I listen to. Can you care to give me a summary of their sound?

Also, how about getting a used HD555 and then modding it so it becomes the 598? Or is it a different type of sound from the 558

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Hmm, Definitely will look into it. Saw another user say they are awesome for the type of music I listen to. Can you care to give me a summary of their sound?
Also, how about getting a used HD555 and then modding it so it becomes the 598? Or is it a different type of sound from the 558

I like to think the HD558 can do a bit of everything, to me the HD558 sound is very "german". not overly warm and just tries to do it's job.
Fairly comfortable, fits well around my ears.
Plastic frame that is fairly firm.
Seem like it can worked into any headphone jack, at least that is 1/4".
To me the only real negative that it did not come with a cable with a 1/8' plug (the 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter does it job).
I removed the black rubber tape from inside the cups, never felt like putting them back in.
If my only headphone was the HD558, I would not suffer.

I do not believe there is anyway of modding the HD555s to HD598.
First thing you would have to do is install the HD558/HD598 drivers (diaphragms), I'm guessing(?) they would not fit.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I like to think the HD558 can do a bit of everything, to me the HD558 sound is very "german". not overly warm and just tries to do it's job.
Fairly comfortable, fits well around my ears.
Plastic frame that is fairly firm.
Seem like it can worked into any headphone jack, at least that is 1/4".
To me the only real negative that it did not come with a cable with a 1/8' plug (the 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter does it job).
I removed the black rubber tape from inside the cups, never felt like putting them back in.
If my only headphone was the HD558, I would not suffer.

I do not believe there is anyway of modding the HD555s to HD598.
First thing you would have to do is install the HD558/HD598 drivers (diaphragms), I'm guessing(?) they would not fit.

My mistake. I didn't mean 555 to 598 I meant 555 to 595. Numbers messing me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE
I found a Like New 558 on Amazon for $110. Sounds like a good deal to me

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 11
Nov 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Yep lets just hope deals like that stay until I get some dosh.

What does the tape mod do to the 558? Is it worth it?

As the HD558 and HD598 use the same driver, I'm guessing Sennheiser is saving cash by not having to designing and supporting two different drivers.
I'm guessing they added the black rubber tape to make the HD558s sound more different then the HD598s.
Even with the black rubber tape removed, they are not matched for sound (per others).
But rarely if ever do I hear someone say they like the sound better with the black rubber tape back in.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
As the HD558 and HD598 use the same driver, I'm guessing Sennheiser is saving cash by not having to designing and supporting two different drivers.
I'm guessing they added the black rubber tape to make the HD558s sound more different then the HD598s.
Even with the black rubber tape removed, they are not matched for sound (per others).
But rarely if ever do I hear someone say they like the sound better with the black rubber tape back in.

thank you for all the advice. Most likely going to get the 558

If I have anymore questions I will pm you. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back