What new headphones are you most anticipating?
Jun 14, 2012 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Craigster75

Headphoneus Supremus
With the Sennheiser Amperior finally here, the V-Moda M-100 slated to arrive in the next month or so and the launch of several new product lines from Denon coming, 2012 is shaping up as an exciting year in the headphone community.  For me, the aforementioned brands are the ones I find most intriguing and I expect to purchase at least one of them.  Which new models are most likely to convince you to break out your credit card, assuming they live up to the hype? 

Also, I find locating demos difficult and many stores don't accept headphone returns.  How do you audition new headphones without purchasing them?  Or, do you "wing it" based on reviews and hope that they meet your expectations? 

I heard Amazon accepts returns on headphones, but I would imagine being cut off if one returns too many.  Also, I believe V-Moda has a 60-day return.  I also found a company that "rents" high end headphones which sounds interesting:

http://www.thecableco.com/newsletter-detail.aspx?iid=5822

Lastly, when auditioning newly unboxed cans in-store, how important is burn-in?  Does burn-in truly provide a drastic improvement in sound or is the sound out the box a close representation of sound after burn-in?

P.S.  In case anyone noticed, I changed my Avatar to something more related to Head-fi in celebration of breaking 100 posts.

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm psyched for the M-100. I have been excited for those ever since I got the M-80 so it's been a long time coming (or at least it feels like it). As for burn-in, that's a long-argued debate here on Head-Fi. To this day I'm not sure whether it's actual burn-in or brain burn-in nor do I really care. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

I do miss the photo of the dog. You commenting on the M-100 thread with that dog in the photo was pretty fitting haha. The dog had this 'waiting for the end of all this talk/hype and ready to put these cans on already' kind of look. :)

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm most excited to see what V-Moda has to offer, it better live up to its hype :p  I'm also looking forward to what Denon has in store as well.  Some of their models look nice, and they have some creative innovation on how a remote and mic work on them :p  I'm looking forward to getting to test out the Amperiors (if all goes well).  Gonna' be a fun summer :)

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I'm psyched for the M-100. I have been excited for those ever since I got the M-80 so it's been a long time coming (or at least it feels like it). As for burn-in, that's a long-argued debate here on Head-Fi. To this day I'm not sure whether it's actual burn-in or brain burn-in nor do I really care. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

I do miss the photo of the dog. You commenting on the M-100 thread with that dog in the photo was pretty fitting haha. The dog had this 'waiting for the end of all this talk/hype and ready to put these cans on already' kind of look. :)

Now that you mention it, I miss seeing my dog here, so she is back.  I'm hoping Val can address some of my questions on the M-100 forum. It sounds like they will become a reality soon.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
I'm most excited to see what V-Moda has to offer, it better live up to its hype :p  I'm also looking forward to what Denon has in store as well.  Some of their models look nice, and they have some creative innovation on how a remote and mic work on them :p  I'm looking forward to getting to test out the Amperiors (if all goes well).  Gonna' be a fun summer :)

The Denon basshead "Urban" model looks great with the blue light ring around the cups, but I really don't want to use batteries in my headphones and, based on experience with rapper cans, the built in amplification is used to compensate for the shortcomings of the drivers.  Of course, Denon has a slightly better track record, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.  I like Denon's redesign of their audiophile line- they seem much more durable for portable use which is where I do most of my listening.  My hope for the M-100 is that it satisfies me enough with every genre that I don't want another pair of headphones for a long time.

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
The Denon basshead "Urban" model looks great with the blue light ring around the cups, but I really don't want to use batteries in my headphones and, based on experience with rapper cans, the built in amplification is used to compensate for the shortcomings of the drivers.  Of course, Denon has a slightly better track record, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.  I like Denon's redesign of their audiophile line- they seem much more durable for portable use which is where I do most of my listening.  My hope for the M-100 is that it satisfies me enough with every genre that I don't want another pair of headphones for a long time.

They are the best looking in my opinion.  I also love how the blue light actually serves a function...  It works as the remote for iDevice.  Twist to change volume, press to play/pause (and skip, go back, etc).  It's really innovative on Denon's part.  Their IEMs (especially their "Music Maniac" ones) have a unique look to them, I like them, at the same time I don't :p  They'll probably look better in person :p

I'm hoping the M100s live up to the hype :p  It'd be a huge letdown if they end up being a dud :frowning2:  Hopefully they won't :)

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Do you know if these are or will be available in the US?  I am not familiar with them.

Not in retail, but you can always purchase online (UM is custom, so that normally has to be done online :p). 

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 11
Not really a headphone but: ASG-2 (or AS-2 if you want custom).

Sent from an iPod touch with TapaTalk... Autocorrect may alter the meaning of this message :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back