What Music Player for iOS 11 do you use?
Apr 10, 2018 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

MarcusL

100+ Head-Fier
I finally broke down and updated to iOS11. Dang it! I should have done my homework before doing so. Now half of my apps are unusable.

Prior to this update, I had been using TuneShell for my music files (I have tons of FLAC) and the app is unusable now. Damn you iOS 11 .

What are you guys using as your music player app that supports FLAC and tags: albums, genre, artists etc.

Thanks.

Apr 10, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 25
I have an iKlips micro SD card reader for my iPhone and it comes with a great player that plays every kind of file format I would ever want

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 25
It plugs in the lightning port. I have two of them. They load up fast and work great. You access the files with an app. It shows the folders and can open a bunch of different formats... Video: .mp4, .mov, .m4v(without DRM), .mkv, .avi, . v, .rm, .rmvb, .wmv, .vob, .3gp, .gif, .swf Audio: .mp3, .aac, .aif, .ai , .wav, .m4a, .caf, .wma, .ape, . ac, .d Image: .jpg, .tif/.ti , .gif, cr2, .dng, .nef, .bmp, .ico, .png, .iiq Document: .pages, .numbers, .key, .doc/.docx, .xls/.xlsx, .ppt/.pptx, .rtf, .txt, .htm/.html, .pdf, .vcf, .zip, .psd, .pps, .php

https://amzn.to/2qml07u

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 25
I was going to get a busted hard drive in my iPod fixed, but I could get an iKlip and 256 gig micro SD card for cheaper. I actually have two. I use one for music and one for transferring files from computer to computer. I see that iKlip doesn't support FLAC though.

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 25
I don't do much FLAC listening on my iPhone but I did DL Onkyo HF Player, which, last I checked, sounds better than Apple's default Music app. Also recently had a major update so there are fewer bugs. Good knowing Onkyo is still supporting this app.

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 25
I have tested my iPhone against my Oppo player and HA-1. They sound exactly the same to me. Did you do a controlled test between your Onkyo and your iPhone? What kind of output from the phone did you use? Could it be an impedance thing between your cans and the headphone out? The iPhone has sound quality as good as high end players. It has better sound than human ears can hear.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 25
Fyi, I only have an iPhone 6s so I'm basing my feedback off of that device and OS. The HF Player is just an iOS app that uses the same library, so I played a song from the default Music player, then switch to the Onkyo app and played the same exact track through there and the Onkyo had better dynamics, detail and imaging. Not by a ton since the Onkyo app uses the same DAC/amp hardware as Apple's app, but the Onkyo app is smart about how it's software is implemented with the iPhone's built-in hardware and is absolutely worth the $10 if you want to have a solid music file (not just FLAC) player on your iPhone.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 25
Ah, I see. There's probably some sound processing going on in the app. It probably uses Apple's architecture for playing sound and they just put some sort of enhancer over the top of it. The line out from the iPhone is audibly transparent by a wide margin, so it isn't that the Apple player sounds worse. Your app has processing going on that makes it sound better.

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 25
I never tried that feature myself, but try looking in Tools > Playback Order > Order: Default, Option: Repeat.
Ahh cool. Found it, thanks man. Wish I dont have to dig through Settings for this feature but at least its there when needed. Thanks again. Do you know any other Players thats being used here in Head-Fi? Also tried Onkyo but looks like its processed based on their headphones. And it needs IAP to function.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 25
Ahh cool. Found it, thanks man. Wish I dont have to dig through Settings for this feature but at least its there when needed. Thanks again. Do you know any other Players thats being used here in Head-Fi? Also tried Onkyo but looks like its processed based on their headphones. And it needs IAP to function.

Check out Neutron Player and Kaisertone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back