What music do you play for your children?
Nov 17, 2002 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
My son is only six months old but you can tell he enjoys music. It quiets him.

Oddly enough, just on a whim, I had downloaded a bunch on Beach Boys music (which I had never really listened to before, I'd always written it off as "fluff") and when I played "In My Room" buy baby starting smiling! It turns out he loves the Beach Boys (In My Room and Surf Girl are his favourites). Maybe it's the soothing harmonies, he just seems to respond to it.

So, in the interest of science, what music do you play for your children that they love? (and I guess what age bracket they're in).

Nov 17, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 28
I'm not much of a classical music guy but I have some of those Philips CD's and my 4 year old loves "Beethoven for Babies" but dislikes "Barouque at Bathtime" intensely - calls it "sad music".

She takes ballet and is quite fond of The Nutcracker - put that CD on and she's instantly dancing around the house.

She also likes all the Talking Heads CD's and Tom Tom Club.

She must be an artist or something...

ok,
erix

Nov 17, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 28
Anything by George Winston.It knocks em' right out.This music even puts me to sleep.They love the soundtracks to "Beauty and The Beast" and "The Wiz".

Nov 17, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 28
My kids all pretty much indicated what they liked and didn't. But basically, it had to be not to complex musically, and a simple lyric even if they don't really get it (e.g., Bob Marley's Get Up, Stand Up is really about human rights, not a teletubby-type exercise).

I generally try to play quality kids songs like on the albums by folk singers (Seeger, Paxton, Gurthrie) when they're playing, and the Suzuki records at bed time.

The important thing is to play quality music, no matter what the genre.

Nov 18, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 28
Nov 18, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 28
Tarzan soundtrack is great, also The Lion King. If they like these is great because you'll enjoy too.

Nov 18, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 28
My childrens musical tastes:

My son likes Dylan, Tom Waits, David Gray, Wilco etc

Daughter is a fan of the Pop Top 40.

Oh their age group is 23 and 28.

Nov 18, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 28
When my kids were little, they too liked the Beach Boys. In fact, my younger son received a Beach Boys cassette for his 4th birthday. As they got a tad older, they liked the "Kidssongs" series of videos and cassettes.

Now, my older son (16) is into metal. He attended his very first live concert Friday and saw Korn, Disturbed, and another band who I cannot remember. He also likes Led Zepplin, old Metallica, Project 86 and some others.

My younger son (14) likes Gershwin, 80's funk, and that electronic music.

Nov 18, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 28
We have a 16-month old daughter. My approach has been to expose her to music -- any kind of music -- as often as possible. In addition to the home stereo, she gets liberal doses of piano (played at home by me, pounding provided by her) as well as live music (church mostly).

That being said, she really seems to like music with a strong beat, e.g. Pink's "Get the Party Started". She also seems to really like Eva Cassidy's "Live at Blues Alley". But we don't hesitate to put on classical, country, pop, rock, whatever. I think the exposure is great.

What a riot it is to watch a 16-month old dance. I've videotaped it so I can show it to her husband of someday 20+ years from now.

Nov 18, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Lindy
What a riot it is to watch a 16-month old dance. I've videotaped it so I can show it to her husband of someday 20+ years from now.

Make sure you don't let her know of it's existance, that will make the suprise compleate.

Nov 18, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 28
Same stuff I was raised on; Frank Zappa and the Pogues
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 28
It's funny - when my oldest was first born, we got all the kid stuff, Wiggles, Sesame Street, Kenny Loggins; after about 6 months of this stuff at home, in the car, everywhere we said the heck with it.
Introduced them to our stuff, now at 5 and 3 they can recognize and sing along to U2, the Dead, oldies Motown, Dave Matthews.

Brings a smile to my face to hear my 3 year old daughter sing along to Dead's Box of Rain.

Revan

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 28
My son just turned 3 and he absolutely loves the beach boys. He loves to sing along and tell me what instruments are being played. He prefers Beach Boy records up through Pet Sounds. Lately he has only wanted "fast songs with drums".

Other songs come and go, but the beach boys are always his favorite. At the moment he also really likes Puffy AmiYumi, Jurassic 5's "What's Golden", Schoolhouse Rock, and Louis Armstrong plays WC Handy. We dance around before bed every night.

His ability to pick out instruments is pretty freaky (he'll tell me when the bass is going to start, ask if I heard that cymbal, distinguish trumpets from saxophones, etc.).

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 28
If I have anything to say about it, when I have kids they will grow up on a steady diet of System of a Down, Rob Zombie, and Buckcherry while they play as many violent video games as I can get my hands on. I'm gonna raise those little bastards right!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wow, I hope their mother has more common sense than I do!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back