what linux distro are you running?
Feb 14, 2003 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jim

100+ Head-Fier
just curious. I'm running gentoo, and it's awesome!! The portage system absolutely rocks. Only bad thing about it is it took forever to install. I used to use Mandrake, but couldn't stand the stupid config tools overwriting my changes. Also, I think the mandrake star is ugly, haha.
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, there are a ton of distributions out there, but hopefully I put up enough choices.

Also, what window manager do you use? It's fluxbox for me.
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2003 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 26
I think I lied in my voting
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh well. I voted for Slack and Debian.. but I think it's Redhat and Slack.. I have RedHat running KDE here at work...

and I've got a slack box I haven't turned on in a while at home.

Feb 15, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 26
I voted for other since I like BSD much more than any Linux distribution. I have OpenBSD running on one box at the moment, and NetBSD installed on the second hard drive of my primary Windows 2000 box. FreeBSD is also quite nice, and faster than either NetBSD or OpenBSD.

But if I have to choose Linux I'd pick Gentoo and Slackware. Slackware for stability and BSD init system, and Gentoo for super-easy package management.

As far as window managers, WindowMaker is my favorite by far.

Feb 15, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 26
If anyone happens to know if there's a way to get a S3 Savage/IX on-board laptop graphics card to work with X, lemme know. This thing is just worthless. ...

kerely

Feb 15, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 26
I've been playing around with Debian lately. I'm not really a hardcore linux user, so I don't know what works best for what... I just used Debian cause it was the easiest distro to get running on my XBOX
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 26
Real men use Slackware.
biggrin.gif
I've been using Slackware since 94 or 95 (can't remember -- memory is a blur). And you know what? That's my kinda distribution. No goofy fancy install that requires that thing.. what do you call it? Oh yeah, a mouse. I mean, for the love of Pete, a mouse?

Once, I strayed because a server manufacturer sent me a bunch of Mandrake install CDs -- and during the installation process there were check boxes. And instead of checks, they used different colors to denote whether a box was checked or not. Well, on my monochrome screen, I couldn't tell what in the hell was going on, or not, so the moment I saw that <huck> GARBAGE. Honestly.

I mean, where in the hell would I be without the simplicity of /etc/rc.inet1 and /etc/rc.inet2? Let the distro wars begin! :)

Feb 15, 2003 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 26
Funny this comes up now, as I just installed Redhat over Mandrake.

Much, much better than Mandrake. Don't know how to put it, but mandrake just didn't apeal to me, even the bootloader just looked stupid.

I really like Linux, but windows will probably always find a home on my computer.

Feb 15, 2003 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 26
Debian on my main box and development box and on my wife's computer and on the entertainment pc. FreeBSD on the router, and another BSD box working as a gateway between my apartment and a friend of mine.

Feb 15, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 26
For myself, it's none so far - but it will be Knoppix, soon. That's a Debian based distribution adapted by Peter Knopper, so that it can even be booted from its single CD without any hd installation. Package management seems superior and very easy with Debian compared to other distributions - and my personal Linux guru Jürgen is totally happy with Knoppix, as it comes with reasonable defaults for almost everything. He personally used SuSe and RedHat and did several distro comparisions for German computer magazines, before, but he says, Knoppix has been the best and easiest Linux so far...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 15, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 26
anything Debianish...is simply better.

Without a distro war starting...Debian is the only distro (maybe now...the only main distro...don't know about these new ones popping up) that sticks hard to the idea of OSS and more importantly FREE software.

As well, with apt, things are so easy after the initial install its nearly dumb not to go this way.

A little apt-get update;;apt-get dist-upgrade and we are golden!

How about compiling a kernel?

make-kpkg kernel_image_xxx
dpkg --install kernel_image_xxx

doesn't get easier than that.

Jul 29, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 26
No reason, OSX/Fink is good enough Unix for me.
wink.gif
Did though use to run Knoppix and RedHat. By the way Knoppix had no problem detecting my USB mouse (Dell laptop or DIY desktop).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back