what linux distro are you running?
Jul 29, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #16 of 26
I'm running suse too, but find it rather annoying at times.

I have yet to sucessfully install anything without the assistance of my more linux-savvy friends. I'm starting to think that perhaps mandrake or redhat or debian might be better.

Jul 29, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #18 of 26
I've now changed to Slackware being the Linux distro I run, rather than using the BSD alternatives. But I don't think I've booted it in about a month.

Jul 29, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #19 of 26
I've switched to gentoo and will never leave source-based distros. Unfortunatly I upgraded my motherboard which broke gentoo for some reason (no uSB, at all), so now I am trying to get the livecd to work with my wireless card so i can install it again.

Jul 29, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #20 of 26
Wally has used Debian Woody, and is now using Suse8.2 and RedHat9.0

Suse is more KDE oriented, and the email is superior to RedHat9's. RedHat9 has a great Chess program. RH9 uses a cluged KDE/GNOME desktop - it's not really either, it's more of both. KDE's Konqueror is Mzilla with a different interface. RH9 is more of a vanilla Mozilla. RH9 is ext3 by default.

They both do updates, but RedHat9 is more complete when it installs (it found my USB and SoundBlaster Audigy Firewire, setup sound correctly, has a PnP autodetect, updates flawlessly). Mounting and umounting is automatic. KDE can be choosen. OpenOffice is standard. RH9 uses GRUB instead of LILO. (I believce SUSE also uses the GRUB loader - but it is hidden in SUSE unless you hit a function key).

Suse8.2 has a few buggy things about it - like sound, weird games, much easier to install packages (although it (the package) just stays "there" until you tell it to install (like MSOffice "install on first use".)), you have to mount/umount manually (unless you modify a file). Modifying KDE themes is still buggy (just like Debian). You can select one of about 4 window managers on logout/login. When you import Konqueror bookmarks, you must use the Mozilla input file type instead of IE (even though there is an IE bookmark import type). Getting contacts from Outlook into KDE's email is not all that easy, whereas, if I remember correctly, it was easy in RH9.

Since a lot of corporations use RedHat, I have decided to keep using it. Nvidia's GF3 video drivers are a little harder to install in RedHat9 than in SUSE.

Gentoo, which I have not installed, has some really nice looking Icons. (If you like round system tray Icons).

downloading and installing RH9 & SUSE8.2 was flawless over a cable modem with both. RH9 at least has ISO images, whereas SUSE8.2 does not. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/lnag_before_install.html

a nice looking distro: http://www.jamd-linux.com/

http://www.distrowatch.com/

For those that like Debian: http://www.libranet.com/features.html
(review here: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1114518,00.asp)

Jul 29, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #21 of 26
on my install of RH9, I had to open the "check if sound is installed" **** about 3 times before my sound worked (C-Media 6.1 chip)...that's one of the reasons why I hate it
600smile.gif

Jul 30, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 26
is it really RH9's problem? chances are that there are plenty of distros out there that have the same problem. (Like getting a Sound Blaster to work correctly under SUS8.2
wink.gif
).

At least you finally got it to work. I never got my Debian to work correctly.

Supposedly RH9 does NOT support MP3s. But that is not to say that another package cannot be installed to overcome this oversight.

Now imagine all the problems still out there for unsupported chipsets. From what I hear there are nVidia motherboard chipset problems on some distros.

So, yes, expect some problems with Linux drivers. But do not think that Windows has no problems in that realm also. I can remember when Promise raid controllers went offline after installing W2k SP3. And I'm sure that even mighty XP has some problems with certain devices.

Now, the question is, did you pay to install RH9? If you didn't, then you lost very little (although I'm sure that there was a massive frustration factor present). Now imagine paying $200 for WXP and finding out that you have to install more mem, have to buy a bigger hd or faster processor, have to replace your scanner or printer, etc.

I've been reading up on Lindows. It seems to be a nice WOS replacement for very little money. I haven't looked at their hardware compatibility list, though.

Jul 30, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #23 of 26
I tried to get Gentoo running stable and I just gave up and installed Slackware. The package management system on Slackware is nearly nonexistant, but Slackware ran faster than Gentoo, despite compiling everything in Gentoo from scratch and optimized to run on Athlon XP CPU's, and is very stable. My onboard Nvidia nForce2 audio and the built-in lan worked fine in both after installing the Nvidia drivers. Slackware is not a system for those who want to keep their system up-to-date, it's more of a set it and forget it type system.

Jul 30, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #24 of 26
I'm sorry that you had so much trouble with Gentoo, Donovan.

What do you feel about FreeBSD? It looks tempting.

I've been having a blast installing everything I can on my SUSE8.2
biggrin.gif
Obviously, I do not know what it's all for, so I'm making sure that all the libraries, window managers (GNOME, KDE), browsers, multimedia and games get installed.

But there's something about FreeBSD...

Galeon browser looks cool. The Google image search engine, along with the newsgroup search engine is cool. There's a little problem importing a LOT of bookmarks, though.
wink.gif

I'm really starting to like SUSE
biggrin.gif
Now I'm running GNOME and KDE, along with about 6 other window managers.
------------------------
I installed "everything" from the 3 CD set in "Red Hat Linux 9 Bible", and, lo and behold, there's KDE.

You can also choose "custom" install and check on the KDE and GNOME winow managers.

I installed evetything because I'm taking the course in the book. I doubt if I will go for RH Certification, because the all day test costs $750. And if I fail, I've lost $750.

I wonder if I can insert the SUSE theme into RH9? It just looks cooler than RH9.

Aug 6, 2003 at 7:34 AM Post #25 of 26
SUSE8.2 & SBLive MP3+ problem resolution:
Linux does not like the Digital (2 pin) cable between the SB Soundcard & the CDRom.

Change over to the analogue 4 pin cable and all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back