What latest CDs do you listen to?
Apr 17, 2011 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

codeninja

100+ Head-Fier
I live in the past where 90% of my music are from the 20th century. What are you listening to among the latest albums/CDs? I like acoustic/rock/jazz music myself.

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 19
I'd like to know, too. I've been spinning Oscar Peterson and Mozart this week. Don't think I've bought anything released in 2011 yet, either.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 19
i'll begin by listing my favorite releases from 2011, so far:

Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo

James Blake - James Blake

Destroyer - Kaputt

Cowboy Junkies - Demon (The Nomad Series Vol. 2)

Banquet of the Spirits - Caym: The Book Of Angels Vol. 17

i guess five will do...  i don't want to overstay my welcome....

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 19
I would recommend Elbow's The Seldom Seen Kid (2008).  It has consistently been one of my favorites since I found it a few months after its release.  Elbow released their latest album, build a rocket boys!, a few weeks ago, but I would start with The Seldom Seen Kid.

On the folk side, I would also recommend Ray LaMontagne's Trouble (stayed in my CD player for 2 months one time, it's that good), Fleet Foxes' self-titled debut, and Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago.

The Black Keys' Attack and Release is another good one.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 19
I just bought the 2011 24bit release from Rush' Moving Pictures, but that's not exactly a new album

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
I would recommend Elbow's The Seldom Seen Kid (2008).  It has consistently been one of my favorites since I found it a few months after its release.  Elbow released their latest album, build a rocket boys!, a few weeks ago, but I would start with The Seldom Seen Kid.

With regards to Elbow, just get all of it, now.

I just got the new album from TV on the Radio, seems a bit hit and miss on first listen but I'll give it more chance before judging it fully!

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
Banquet of the Spirits - Caym: The Book Of Angels Vol. 17

I saw them do a pretty hot live performance of a few tracks from Caym a few weeks ago. Very interesting music with some stellar musicians. I saw their piano player in some improv sets around New Years and I was extremely impressed. (And of course Cyro Baptista is astonishing, that's a given.)   Although I have to say I liked Volume 16 even more... one of my favorites of last year.

I think the last album I bought was "Hothouse Stomp," by the Ghost Train Orchestra. A project by a local musician I've been following for a few years. Old school jazz brought to life in the 21st century. Really fun music. They popped to the top of the Amazon jazz chart after they were featured on NPR recently: http://www.npr.org/2011/04/07/135045403/brian-carpenter-eclectic-jazz-rooted-in-americana  

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 19
2011 releases I've gotten so far:

- Alison Krauss & Union Station - Paper Airplane [Deluxe Edition]
- And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Tao of the Dead
- Cowboy Junkies - Demons
- Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys!
- Eva Cassidy - Simply Eva
- Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean
- Radiohead - The King of Limbs
- Sierra Hull - Daybreak
- Within Temptation - The Unforgiving

I literally bought over a hundred CDs throughout 2010, not sure if anyone wants me to list them...
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 19
Three that I just got, three that I just ordered, and three that are getting released that I'll probably order.

Already in the Library:
1. Joe Bonamassa - Dust Bowl
2. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
3. Adele - 21

Winding there way here from Amazon:
1. Cowboy Junkies - Demons
2. Robbie Robertson - How to Be Clairvoyant
3. Lucinda Williams - Blessed

Being Released Soon:
1. Warren Haynes - Man In Motion
2. Levon Helm - Ramble At The Ryman
3. Tedeshi Trucks Band - Revelator

Oh and at some point Steve Millers 2011 release, Let Your Hair Down will probably need to find it's way into the library.

May 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
+1 Loving the album after several listens. 

I remember when I first heard Fleet Foxes right after their debut album came out. What a great discovery! I never thought they would become so huge. But I think they deserve all the attention they're getting.

Also listening to Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean. Not loving this album quite so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back