What kind of sound do you enjoy when using earphones?
Dec 21, 2008 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Apple254

100+ Head-Fier
I know a 'Junior Head-Fi'er' doesn't usually create this type of thread, but I was just wondering what kind of sound people enjoy when using their IEM's? It's just out of curiosity to be honest.

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 26
I like Bass, Mids/Mid Bass AND treble! Unfortunately, few IEM can satisfy ALL
those simultaneous requirements, well......none that I can afford!
I wanted to be more "audiophile-like" and eschew the more Bass-centric IEM's,
but when I did they sounded like crap without the Bass-Kick. I am not sure why
Bass is so looked-down upon here, but on the other hand everybody strives
for good monitors that impart some nice Bass, so what do people REALLY want?
I think it's MUCH easier to make a monitor that focuses on mids/treble than
to make one that produces prodigious BASS!

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 26
Yer I agree, my musical preferences are literally identical. I don't believe bass is looked down on, I just believe muddy bass is. I also feel everyone loves bass just different people enjoy it in different quantities.
It doesn't look like anyone wants to comment...
frown.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 26
Maybe I just haven't experienced good bass yet, but I really prefer my mids/treble over bass. I would rather live with average bass, excellent mids, and crisp treble over detailed, fast, accurate bass, good mids, and average treble.

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 26
To me, good bass bring the music more warmth, some types of music use bass that you can only feel, not hear, when IEM's pull this off: goosebumps! No crystal clear treble can bring me this.. But i do wish for excellent mids to acompany the bass.. But actually treble is pretty high on my wishlist too. Just cant have it all..

But yes, to me good bass makes the experience of most music far more personal then good highs. But this really also depends on what type of music your listening too.

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 26
I enjoy the sound of music.

And the sense of total immersion.

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 26
bass for me as true deep bass is hard to come by in earphones. so when a manufacturer manages to give us great bass without hurting mids or highs i find that just orgasm in the ears, its great.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 26
Loads of Bass + still able to hear all the details in surround, instrument/voice seperations.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple254 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Fair enough. Most people on this thread have mentioned isolation and slightly off the topic I saw a concept for a pair of earbuds the other day that are shaped so that ambient sound is let in. Would anybody enjoy that!?

This is the only link I can find.

Philips headphones that let ambient sounds in | simoncpage.com

Those are the coolest looking earphones i have ever seen, they're like hybrid earbuds and headphones. They look so cool in the ear. They may suck but their design is the best i've ever seen on any headphone/earbud/IEM. Period.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 26
Fun, smooth, natural, and airy.

a.k.a. exactly what a live performance sounds like. Unfortunately, I can't afford that right now. Maybe in a few years.

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 26
I'm a fan of warm and smooth headphones with deep bass and clear, airy separation.

Basically, the Klipsch Image x10 represent my ideal sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back