What kind of hard drive do I have?
Nov 24, 2008 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
The hard drive on my laptop is dead and I need a new one ASAP. HP and CDW say that I need an ATA-100 EIDE hard drive. CDW sold me Seagate that is apparently Ultra ATA, which, according to Wikipedia, is the same as EIDE.

I took out my dead hard drive and tried to put the new one in, but the connectors are different. The old hard drive had 22 "slots" in the connector. The new one has 43 pins in two rows (one of the middle columns has only one pin).

Anyway, here's the info from my old hard drive and the new one. Hopefully someone can tell me exactly what type of hard drive I need. I would post a pic of the connector but I am unable to do so on this computer.

Old hard drive info from sticker:
Hitachi Travelstar model HTS541010G9AT00
5400RPM ATA/IDE
P/N: 13G1591
On the connector there is a symbol that looks kind of like a tuning fork with the "fork" pointing to the right, along with the numbers 04 22 31

New hard drive (connector doesn't reach contacts):
Seagate Momentus 5400.3
PN: 9S1034-508
It has a picture of a wine glass next to the Ultra ATA logo.

Thanks for any help!

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 4
Most likely, there's an adapter on the old Hitachi drive that converts the ATA pin interface into the more assembler friendly slot interface. You should be able to pull/pry off the adapter from the Hitachi drive and reuse it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back