What is YOUR Holy Grail of Headphones and amps?
Nov 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 28
um I have yet to hear it personally, but R10 mated to right amp seems like the something I would enjoy.

Best headphone I've liked to date was L3000 mated to balanced B22. Also, stax O2 mk2 as well. K1000 is right around there too.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 28
For headphones, the ribbon earspeaker idea I've been kicking around. I'm going to finish off a few other projects then give them a try. I've been obsessed with ribbons for years. Always preferred them to electrostats, but there aren't any ribbon headphones. The Ergo AMT is very close, but I want to try my hand at a pure ribbon. I think it is possible to adapt a ribbon microphone setup into a K-1000 style headphone. I'm going to try it.

For amps, the 45-based transformer coupled amp I've been gathering parts for. I have the 45 tubes and just received a pair of Sowter headphone transformers with multiple taps. I'm putting in a switch so you can select output impedance based on the headphones you want to use. I need to put in an order for the power, filament and output transformers with Electra-Print.

Still plan to get around to building an electrostatic amp and picking up either the Omega II or 4070.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 28
Super Maxed out Blue Hawaii into the O2 Mk1 and TakeT H2
Ergo Amp2 or Firstwatt F# and rebuilt slope into the AMT
Maxed B22 or Firstwatt F# into the T50 or YH-5M or K1000

I also want to see that prototype ribbon headphone goto production. I'd get one no question.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 28
Sennheiser Opheus. I still dream of it sometimes.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 28
Anything Bose Baby. They are awesome.!!!!!!!

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 28
I have yet to hear it.
Its highly possible that I have the Holy Grail headphone in the Stax SR-007BL, but I have never heard the Holy Grail in amplification for it. Of what's out there it may be the HeadAmp KGBH SE.

A well driven AKG K1000 is certainly up there as well.

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 28
Hmm.
Electrostatic: the Orpheus system.
Dynamic: HP-2 or Vintage RS-1 mated w/ a MAD or Melos amp

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 28
Keep it coming. I'm enjoying your impressions.

Here is my setups now that I'm enjoying:

The R10 with the SP Dragon (sold this one), but the SP SDS XLR works great as well.

A B22 with a high gain and 4 pin adapter with the K1000s. It sounds great in my setup

Balanced B22 with my R10s

GS-X with MDR-CD3000. I don't know why but the synergy of the CD3000 with this amp in my other system is great.

SP Extreme and SR225 woodied or RS1. It sounds pretty darn good

B22 with high gain and HP1s sound excellent as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back