What is your favourite Inde band?
Oct 20, 2002 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
My favourite inde band of the moment is Interpol from New York. They have been touring and making waves down that way for four years now. With their 2001 release of Turn On The Bright Lights, an incredible guitar driven band with an ambiance unmatched in todays rock, they have carved a solid reputation among intelligent fans and critiques alike. Taking their roots from Joy Division et. al., they are a refreshing treat from the sludge of White-Rage/Nu-metal groups plaguing the waves.

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by tehpressman
I don't listen to much indie, but I love Man or Astro-man?

I would have to say that counts.

Of the mo' -- Godspeed You Black Emperor!, The Faint.

Ever? Probably My Bloody Valentine. (Do they count as indie?)

Oct 20, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 33
I'm not cool enough to listen to indie music. Well, that or too lazy, I don't know. I'll try downloading some samples of what you guys suggest.

How do you guys get into obscure bands that get no radio play and don't tour extensively?

kerely

Oct 20, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
I'm not cool enough to listen to indie music. Well, that or too lazy, I don't know.

Ditto. But I do know of Interpol. Someone here on Head-Fi (I forget who, sorry - someone with a ER-6 box in his/her avatar) posted a link to his favourite radio show, and I listened for a total of about 10 minutes. I liked what I heard, but was real busy and didn't listen again to that show - I should though. Anyways one of the songs I heard was NYC by Interpol, and I liked it, so I kept a mental reminder of their name. Then later I downloaded "Obstacle 1". I like the song a lot.

Kerely: Put "Obstacle 1" by Interpol on your to-download list.

Oct 20, 2002 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 33
not sure if it qualifies, but i've been listening to mesh a lot recently. not the mesh stl they play on rock radio stations, but the synthpop group with a bit of industrial and goth flavor.

Oct 20, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

I'm not cool enough to listen to indie music. Well, that or too lazy, I don't know. I'll try downloading some samples of what you guys suggest.

How do you guys get into obscure bands that get no radio play and don't tour extensively?

kerely

I've never been to a concert in my life, and stopped watching mtv and listening to the radio years ago.

1 - I've been a member of a music forum for about a year and a half, and have been introduced to tons of new artists & genres. I didn't listen to electronic music at all before then (didn't like any of the mainstream stuff), but I listen to many different artists now (mostly ambient) after being exposed to it. I also didn't listen to any classic or prog rock before joining the forum, and now I listen to it more than newer rock.

2- surfing allmusic.com - looking at similar artists to ones I already like, and genre surfing

3 - http://www.gnoosic.com/ - type in a few artists you like and it throws other artists' names at you
smily_headphones1.gif
then you can look at allmusic and read the info for them, or download samples of their music.

Oct 20, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Actually, a lot of them do tour, but the question is still valid (how would I know to go to the show?).

Word of mouth, mostly. Friends who know me tell me to check out this band, etc.

But I'm pretty anti-social, so that only goes so far.

I also do the nepotism thing. This guy from this band produced this band, whose bassist plays in this band, which was produced by this guy from this band, etc. In fact, that's where most of mine come from. I've gotten to the point where there are whole labels I "trust" (Constellation, for example).

Magazines. Wire, Outburn (my current favourite -- "jives" the most with my musical taste, which I would describe as a cross of skippy's and DarkAngel's), Alternative Press, all review tons of new releases.

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:22 AM Post #10 of 33
look to jadetree, tigerstyle, and polyvinyl records.

also, place an order with insound and be sure to leave that box marked for "weekly insound update mailing list."

i'm really behind in my scene lately.. but right now i love: pavement, modest mouse, awek, texas is the reason, sean na na, owls, pedro the lion, jj72, and alkaline trio.

biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #11 of 33
Hard to know what exactly qualifies as indie nowadays...

But i'll second that Modest Mouse plug by Grinch (as well as Pavement and Pedro the Lion).

In the ambient-rock-electronic realm of things, I would have to say:

Tortoise
Boards of Canada
Yo La Tengo
Bjorn Olsson
The Morr Music label
The Audio Dregs label

In the Jazzyish-IDM section, I would go with:

Flanger
Medeski, Martin & Wood

In the LaidBackRock area:

Belle & Sebastian
Future Pilot AKA

In the Girl Rockers With 'Tude To Spare area:

Le Tigre

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 33
interpol! I forgot all about them!
you should check out Blue Yard Garden.
md

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 33
Since sapphiremodena mentioned it I'll repost the link to KEXP.
Most of the bands mentioned in this thread do get played there. They have realtime playlist and a new feature with the past two weeks shows being archived and available for on demand streaming listening. If you have a great internet connection you can even listen to UNCOMPRESSED audio. Check it out.

Oct 23, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 33
Well I'm not too big into Indie and not sure if this qualifies or has become to mainstream, but I recently picked Fugazi's the Argument and really like the CD. It has some aewsome drum work. The guitar doesn't drown out everything else, letting the drums and bass impact equally. The second track Cashout and the title track are some of my favorites on the album.

Anyway, if you haven't heard it, check it out,

Zin

Oct 23, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #15 of 33
I like And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, but I think they went "major label" with their latest album, so I that doesn't count. I guess I will throw my vote for The Microphones, since they're definitely indie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back