What is your favoured electronics maker?
May 22, 2005 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Nice and simple...

I've always been a bit of a Sony person, but now - over the past year, virtually everything I have has been turning in to Philips components (audio AND visual...)

Do you also have a preferred brand that seemingly is taking over your house or is it just me?

May 22, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 36
I have always loved Hitachi products. Next up would be Toshiba. Then Panasonic.

I think everyone here knows how I feel about Sony Products.
rolleyes.gif

I just wish I could afford the Onkyos and Pioneer Elites.

So, who makes the best looking HDTVs?

May 22, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 36
I'm Philips too. In current use: TV, DVD Recorder, MP3 Player, Philipshave, Expresso coffee maker.

May 22, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
I have always loved Hitachi products. Next up would be Toshiba. Then Panasonic.

I think everyone here knows how I feel about Sony Products.
rolleyes.gif

I just wish I could afford the Onkyos and Pioneer Elites.

You should give a listen to (the "new" (company)) Marantz.

Sony's service issues are, as you well know...an issue
frown.gif

May 22, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 36
I've been using Pioneer components for years. Every CD or DVD player but one that I've owned in the last 15 years has been a Pioneer or Elite, and I've never had a moments trouble with any of them. I also had a Pioneer receiver, integrated amp and tape deck once upon a time. Oh, and car stereos too!!
biggrin.gif

For Amps and Preamps, I've always favored NAD and Adcom.

For headphones...need you even ask??
biggrin.gif

For headphone amps, I'm pretty pleased with my Ray Samuels Emmeline and HeadRoom gear.

May 22, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 36
For home entertainment audio, I'm a Yamaha person. Great receivers/amps.

For video, I'm a Sony person. I love Sony TV's and camcorders.

For computers, I'm a Dell person.

May 22, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 36
Bryston - service service service then they give you more service. Durability longevity. Did I mention the stellar service? If other electronics manufactuers did this we would hardly ever have to throw away anything and the world would be a much better place.

May 22, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 36
still a Sony person at heart....A/V, monitors, TVs, camcorder, etc..

but getting replaced by Pioneer and Denon lately
cool.gif

May 22, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 36
since getting my fantastic and reasonably priced panasonic plasma tv, i'm a big panny fan... i'm trying to resist pulling the trigger on one of their digital receivers. (can anyone tell me if a panny digi would be an upgrade over a 5 yr old sony str-db940?)

needless to say, i'm becoming a panny convert, and i've never been a brand loyalist before.

May 22, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 36
I don't know that I really have one.. well, for industries I know nothing about, I tend to turn to Panasonic first. I'm not sure why.

May 22, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 36
Car audio.... Pioneer headunits, Hifonics Amps. Not really brand loyal towards speakers, although I really like my image dynamics compression drivers nad powerbase sub.

home audio.... Not really into it that much, but I like my Denon receiver and Triad Bronze sub.

Head-fi.... Beyerdynamic, Grado and Koss rules my land

Garrett

May 22, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 36
I've never found one major manufacturer that was able to win me over consitently. They all have some good products and some duds. I research everything before I buy, even if it's just a toaster.

May 22, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Do you also have a preferred brand that seemingly is taking over your house or is it just me?

Yes, indeed, I do - it just isn't an electronics brand: It's bloody IKEA!!!
biggrin.gif
With electronics, I certainly have some brand tendencies - but apart from that I've made good, bad and mixed experiences with practically any brand I've tried yet... Thus no real favs on my side.

However, I do wonder sometimes, if things were different if I gave more focus to my toy budget rather buying one high-end unit of a product category than getting several cheaper ones. I might have been a happy Luxman owner since quite a long time that way... Or Accuphase... hmmm... Tandberg... Denon... T+A... Sansui... hmhmhm, maybe HK... Grundig once had some really nice stuff, too... er...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 22, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 36
Home Audio:
- Amplification & Processing (preamp): Pass Labs. I just wish they made sources & I'd be all set...

- Sources: Not real brand loyal here. I've had Sony ES, Denon, Pioneer Elite, and Panasonic. I feel the point of diminishing returns sets in at about $1500 for sources though, so that's kinda been my unofficial price limit... Though the Wadia stuff is very nice.

- Speakers: I've had Monitor Audio, Definitive Technology, and listened to more speakers than I can count (B&W, Klipsch, Horn Shoppe, Magnepan, Vienna Acoustics, Martin Logan, Dali, Sonus Faber, Quad, Dynaudio, Carver, Anthony Gallo, Vandersteen, etc.). My favorites are usually the slightly forward ones with good control over deep bass frequencies. I don't do subs generally. 2ch baybe!

- Headphones & Amps: I'm a Grado man. All the way. I have a couple pair of Senns, and have listened to many phones but Grados are my home. As for amps, I like the Gilmore's, and Krell used to make a good one (dont think they make 'em any more) but haven't heard much from many other companies. I'm definately not a tube guy as I come from the world of ultra-high-end SS, and think tubes take too much detail away in the name of 'seductive musical qualities' (translation: warm blurry softness). And I've listened to some pretty darn expensive and high-end tube amps on the speaker side of things.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back