What is your favorite video game?
Nov 16, 2019 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 182

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw another thread with this question but it was from 2005 and in the wrong forum.

Mine are the following:

1) Dark Souls 2 (vanilla)

I played this a lot later than Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. Big mistake! I really regret overlooking this game. My brain told me it would be too addicting and too hard.

Actually on the first playthrough I became frustrated and gave up. Quit for over a year. Turns out I was playing the game all wrong and advancing too quickly. I didn't level my HP or adaptibility much and died to the Ruin Sentinels over and over. They are probably one of the harder bosses in the game.

Flew through the game later on and loved every minute of it. It's not too difficult and some areas are actually too easy. Most of the bosses don't take more than a few tries.

I found this game to be the most fun title in the series. When I get through it I immediately start up all over again! I must have at least 500 hours in this game without even trying the DLC.

I did finish the Scholar of the First Sin version and don't remember it being any harder. I think I finished that one first, but hard to remember!

2) Fallout 3

I must have played through this game and all the DLC dozens of times. Love the story and pretty much everything. The combat these days is now a little outdated, but that's OK. It seems like there is a story behind every single thing in the game. I can't stand how titles later in the series now have randomized loot and weapons. Fallout 4 was good, but it's one game I had no interest in playing through more than once.

3) Uncharted 2

One game I consider to be pretty much perfect. Played through it so many times. It's even better than part 3 and 4. I usually NEVER play games on hard mode, but was eventually good enough to finish this on "Crushing" difficulty.

4) Bioshock 2

Yes, some hate this, but I love it and it's the only title in the series I actually like.
Another game that I found extremely difficult at first due to playing it all wrong! Once I switched to using mostly my drill it became a lot easier.

Love all the mini-games, hacking, upgrades, turrets and Adam extraction sequences. There's a lot of stuff in here that is gone from the other games.

5) Dishonored

I normally dislike stealth games, but love this one. Enough to play through it maybe 6 times now. I haven't played the DLC though.

6) Prey (PS4)

What a weird experience this game was at first. Now it's a favorite. I somehow didn't like it much on my first playthrough and possibly it was due to my character build. I also had to start over 10 hours into it because I forgot to get essential weapons and ran out of supplies. You can't just play this like a shooter or you'll probably do terrible. Most tougher early enemies kind of require some sort of strategy.

I think it's easy in this game to screw up your character and get stuck somewhere in the game without ammo or supplies. There were times when I was new when I thought this game was extremely difficult (it's really not!).

The early game is the hardest IMO because you're weak and without supplies.
It seems that for the game to become easier you need to explore everything, collect as much loot as possible and make your own supplies with the recycler.

Eventually you become overpowered and nothing is really too hard to take down even with a shotgun.

Anyway, after I finished this I ended up playing through it again at least 6 more times!

It's a LOT more fun if you don't rush and just take your time.

This is one game I hope will get a sequel. It's kind of a weird mix of Bioshock 2 and Dishonored!

PS This is more of an action RPG and even more so than Dishonored.

7) Zelda: A Link to the Past

This is my #1 game by far. Pretty much perfect.

8) Final Fantasy XI (Online)

Have played this since 2004 or when it was on the PS2 with a dialup modem. I really was addicted to this for awhile. At one point I had to force myself to stop playing due to it keeping me from my work at home. This game used to be one of the hardest games there was, but now it's extremely easy. You can get to level 99 in less than a day. Before it took up to a year for some jobs to get to level 75.

I still play it, but I feel like it's the same thing over and over now. I capped job points on one job (BST), but doing it again just feels like too much work.

The game also isn't anywhere near as fun without a large linkshell group that does daily events. That's what made me love the game.

I really regret switching servers. Mine got down to only 250 people online per day. Now i'm in the huge Asura server.

9) Fable 2

Absolutely loved this game. Extremely easy though. Main negative is the controls are not always the best when moving around. In combat they are perfect through! Loved this game so much that I was really disappointed when it ended and I had nothing left to do. I think I eventually owned every building in the game and did everything there was to do.

I actually skipped getting an Xbox One because of what Microsoft did to Lionhead Studios! Hopefully we'll still see Fable 4 in the future. Part 3 was terrible!

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 182
Too many to list, but I like the classics as they were memorable. These are all milestone games that revolutionized the industry, and I define classics as those games that revolutionized the gaming industry.

Super Mario Brothers (not 2)
Zelda (not 2, SNES and NES)
Chronotrigger
Final Fantasy 7
Metal Gear Solid (PS)
Resident Evil 2 (PS)
Doom
Half-Life
Street Fighter 2
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 182
It'd probably have to be one of:

The Witcher 3
The Last of Us
Demon's Souls
Hollow Knight
Fire Emblem Fates

I wouldn't say any of these were perfect, but I found them all very difficult to put down until I'd finished them.

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 182
2) Fallout 3

I must have played through this game and all the DLC dozens of times. Love the story and pretty much everything. The combat these days is now a little outdated, but that's OK. It seems like there is a story behind every single thing in the game. I can't stand how titles later in the series now have randomized loot and weapons. Fallout 4 was good, but it's one game I had no interest in playing through more than once.
Funny thing, I have sort of the opposite. Enjoyed Fallout 3, but have played Fallout 4 to death. Really loved survival mode and even imposed my own restrictions to make it harder. Are you playing The Outer Worlds? I am still exploring it and have started a third time, now on Hard mode to get the right build and level of challenge. It is fun, but has not yet drawn me in like Fallout 4 did. I think it has to do with how versatile Fallout 4 is in terms of playing style, I have not yet found that in The Outer Worlds. Still really enjoy all these games, but I think The Elder Scrolls Morrowind is still my number 1. Love how that game drew me in at the time. Oblivion and Skyrim were a bit disappointing by comparison.

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 182
Only managed to finish one game in the last 6 odd years. Witcher 3. Got a bit drawn out by the though. Focused on too many side quests then rushed the story ending to get it over with. I miss Triss♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 182
The game started off incredible, but then kind of stumbled towards the end as you start seeing the actualy shallowness of almost every gameplay system. Loot - largely irrelevant since you will never make money selling stuff. Weapons - seems like a lot of variety at first but that quickly wears off since you loot the same stuff over and over again from every single bin or chest. Enemies - same thing, always corporate guards or some wildlife that never drops anything of value or usefulness.

Funny thing, I have sort of the opposite. Enjoyed Fallout 3, but have played Fallout 4 to death. Really loved survival mode and even imposed my own restrictions to make it harder. Are you playing The Outer Worlds? I am still exploring it and have started a third time, now on Hard mode to get the right build and level of challenge. It is fun, but has not yet drawn me in like Fallout 4 did. I think it has to do with how versatile Fallout 4 is in terms of playing style, I have not yet found that in The Outer Worlds. Still really enjoy all these games, but I think The Elder Scrolls Morrowind is still my number 1. Love how that game drew me in at the time. Oblivion and Skyrim were a bit disappointing by comparison.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 182
The game started off incredible, but then kind of stumbled towards the end as you start seeing the actualy shallowness of almost every gameplay system. Loot - largely irrelevant since you will never make money selling stuff. Weapons - seems like a lot of variety at first but that quickly wears off since you loot the same stuff over and over again from every single bin or chest. Enemies - same thing, always corporate guards or some wildlife that never drops anything of value or usefulness.
I felt quite similar about it and so far it has not been able to draw me in long enough to finish the game, which is a terrible shame because I would really like a new game that is capable of drawing me in like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. Single player RPGs where I can waste countless of hours exploring and adventuring.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 182
Gran Turismo 2

Somehow I missed adding this one to my original list.
No idea how considering i've spent probably hundreds of hours in this game.
As you may know, it's a racing simulation and was released for the original Playstation 1. I actually never even played the first in the series!

Even if you're like me and not into cars, you might still like this one.

It starts off a bit slow, but once you get all your licenses it's pretty easy to advance and make money.

Based on memory my favorite cars were the Ford GT40 Race Car (won from an endurance race I believe), Mitsubishi 3000GT and Audi TT.
Somehow I think I actually won the championship race with the Audi TT. Don't ask me how, but I think it was difficult!

Only negative really is who actually likes being forced to get licenses in the game? I always hated those.

I'm now addicted to Gran Turismo 4 and find it even more of a chore to play. I haven't gotten my International A and B licenses so i'm forced to use B-Spec mode and watch a computer drive my car!!
The PS2 can actually run this game at 1080i with component cables (but seems to reset after every startup).

I actually did a 24 hour endurance race in GT4 with a Jaguar race car using B-spec. I did it while away from the TV and at work, but it sure did feel longer than 24 hours!
I think I lapped the #2 car about 7 times using only Medium tires. I had to pit almost every 3-4 laps it seemed like (it's that super long track). I even used the "Steady" pacing with Overtake set.

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 182
So many good games in here!

I'd have to say, in this order:
  • Revelations Persona 2
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 3
  • Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
  • Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
  • Castlevania: SotN
  • Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
  • Street Fighter 2
  • Legend of Grimrock 1/2
  • Resident Evil 5

I know a lot of people don't care for Fallout 4 but I put hundreds of hours on that game. Actually all of these games I played for way too long, multiple times through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back