What is your favorite Roxy Music album
Jul 13, 2008 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Sad to say, I have limited knowledge of Roxy Music. And while I have numerous mp3s of their work, I don't own any specific CDs and would like to add their stuff to my collection......what are good starting points to buy their catalog?

Thanks in advance

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd start with Avalon. Really beautifully crafted album.

I have always loved Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry's solo efforts as well. I would choose "Avalon" as my favorite Roxy album also. (since I have to pick one...) That saxophone and vocals at the end of the song "Avalon" always gives me a shiver. I have seen both Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry live and they do that album wonderfully live. It has always seemed to me that Bryan Ferry's "Boys and Girls" was "Avalon" part two. I would rate both of these albums in my lifetime "Top 25"...maybe "Top 10."

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 26
Funny you should ask...

I just recieved "The Best of Roxy Music", today, a fine place to start, and its well recorded too!

I understand the individual album collecting for its flow and totality for that period etc... However, this is a good way to get the overview, in reverse chronological order of each albums release in this case and the bands evolution with and post Enos contrubution...

FWIW, hope this helps some.

...Yeah, I'm diggin' it
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 26
Avalon followed by Siren followed by Manifesto followed by Roxy Music followed by Country Life followed by…umm, Greatest Hits?

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 26
I definitely prefer their early albums - not that their late albums are not good though. I would say that their first album Roxy Music is the strongest and freshest album, although I am also partial to Siren.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 26
I would say definitely get Avalon..........
Not only my favorite album, but the sound quality is really fabulous

Then I would get one of the many Roxy CD collections.
If you find songs/style you really like you can always go back and pick up the album they are from, early Roxy sounds different from the lushly orchestrated later works so you have to find your preference

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 26
One more thing…since mp3s have made cherrypicking tunes from albums so easy, I'd like to put in a plug for the covers on Flesh & Blood, a subpar later Roxy disc. Ferry's always had an ear for great tunes (elsewhere, he's done Lennon's "Jealous Guy" and Van's "Crazy Love"), and he sounds amazing on the soul classic "In the Midnight Hour" as well as the Byrds' "Eight Miles High."

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 26
Avalon, Flesh and Blood. But Absolutely try Ferry's Boys and Girls and Mamouna too.
A great kind of best off is is Roxy Music Live from 2005, or, even better, the corresponding DVD, Live at the Apollo which is a feast for the eyes too. Enjoy!

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the first 4 albums, everything after and including Siren I dislike. Way to pop-discoish and Bryan Ferry dominated for my taste.

Similar - I like the 1st five, with the 1st three as classic, the latter 2 still catchy, and didn't bother with anything after that. "Stranded" is my favorite ("Amazona", "Psalm", and, of course "Mother of Pearl"). Bryan Ferry's solos were hit & miss for me, but Roxy Music really weren't the same after Eno & those 1st 2 records... Cheers.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but Roxy Music really weren't the same after Eno & those 1st 2 records... Cheers.

Add me to the Eno-era Roxy Music fans
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back