What is this new Sony gadget?
Jun 7, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 13
that looks crazy cool. wonder what this is...

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 13
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Whatever it is, it looks like it could have endless practicaly applications if technology like that was integrated into daily life. I wonder what exactly that machine is though, and how does it make images and get data from those little plates? How did you find out about this soundboy? Does anyone know anymore information?

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Welcome to yesterday.

Tries to be Sci Fi, but it is easy to spot the Wacom stylus, and the Cintiq/PL series monitor/tablet underneath those clear glass/plastic tiles. Those tiles are not actually little displays. They are simply a tile that probably has an RFID chip in it that triggers a specific windowed "event" in the quadrant it's placed in.

Pretty kewl as an design statement, but sorry, I like having my display sizeable to larger than those clear squares.

-Ed

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 13
looks basically like "windows" for prescool kids. most likely sony is just about to do a joint venture with lego for that...

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenEnglish
looks basically like "windows" for prescool kids. most likely sony is just about to do a joint venture with lego for that...

I was going to say that. I'm picturing execs using these to make a house of cards.

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Those are amazing little displays - perhaps OLED? Each panel can evidently perform specific types of functions like painting or displaying the image modifications on a time basis. With a user interface like that, who needs a remote control for their home entertainment center?

LOL, it's just little glass/plastic tiles placed on top of an LCD.

While it looks reminiscent of the visual memory "chips" in Minority Report, notice that those glass/plastic tiles never independantly display color images when not placed on the screen. Looks like they etched some logos and details to give that impression, but their little tech demo is really just smoke and mirrors.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back