What is this "ASIO" that you guys keep mentioning?
Apr 13, 2006 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
What is it, what does it do, and how much does it cost?

Apr 13, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 11
ASIO is an API for interfacing between a soundcard and audio software. It's cross platform, developed by Steinberg and is targeted at professional apps. There is no cost, all you need is a soundcard with drivers that know how to accept it, and apps that know how to speak it. The reason peopel like i is because of it's pro nature, it doesn't do things liek resample, or change volume in software and so on. It outputs a pur bitstream from software to soundcard.

Apr 13, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 11
Will it work with my stock HP73n sound card and foobar?

Apr 13, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 11
Foobar does support ASIO output, I don't remember if you have to download a plugin for it, but it does support it. The model number you list is unfarmilar to me, I'm guessing you are tlaking about an integrated soundcard in which case no, it probably doesn't. You'll need to buy a better soundcard.

Apr 13, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 11
Oh I am sorry, my computer's model number is HP753n (Hewlett & Packard Pavillion 753n). I am using the stock sound card that came with the PC.

Apr 13, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 11
Ya so that'll be an AC97 Sigmatel job or something like that. Almost certianly no ASIO support (have to ask the manufacturer for a 100% answer). You'll need to get an addon soundboard to get that. Not a bad idea in general, since addon cards tend to be higher quality anyhow.

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 11
The last thread about ASIO, just over a week ago...

Anyway, native ASIO indeed is limited to somewhat more ambitious soundcards - hardly anything below a Revo 5.1 provides this. Funnily, an ASIO -> WDM wrapper like ASIO4All can actually give better performance than the native ASIO interface built into the drivers, as it's the case with the X-Fi, for example. Given how famous Creative is for great drivers, I bet everyone is highly surprised now.

BTW, a good sound card will sound a lot better than the average onboard stuff even when not using any overly fancy interface.

Apr 15, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 11
So, I have had ASIO set up in foobar for a long time but is there a quick check I can do to make sure its working? I was under the impression that ASIO bypassed software volume controls, but I can change he volume easy in foobar and in windows using the speaker icon in the taskbar. Basically I'm confused and not sure why.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 11
I was wondering something similar. I have selected the kernel/asio output (kernel in the .90 version, will probably move to .91 now that it has the asio plugin) option for my echo indigo soundcard. Is there a seperate step to make sure my computer system is bypassing the windows mixer or does just selecting the kernel/asio on my card do the trick?
Thanks!

Apr 17, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
So, I have had ASIO set up in foobar for a long time but is there a quick check I can do to make sure its working? I was under the impression that ASIO bypassed software volume controls, but I can change he volume easy in foobar and in windows using the speaker icon in the taskbar. Basically I'm confused and not sure why.

Do you have other computer sounds active, and do they get mixed in when playing music? If so, then you are sending the signal through windows K-mixer. I would guess that if your windows volume control has an effect, then K-mixer is not being bypassed.

I have foobar2000 0.9.1 beta 1 and use Asio4all to the MicroDAC. The volume slider in foobar does work, but the windows volume slider does not. In WinAmp, neither the volume slider in WinAmp or the slider in windows works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back