What is the next noticable/satisfactory upgrade from the uDAC?
Jul 25, 2010 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cruizin caleb

100+ Head-Fier
What is the next noticable/satisfactory upgrade from the uDAC?

Must be compatible with a Macbook.

My amp is Little Dot I+ my headphones are the Grado RS-1. At some point I may add Sennheiser 600 or 650s.

Edit: I've been looking at the Dac-EXTASY (only $110 now... hmm), V-DAC, Little Dot Dac, and the DacMagic (DacMagic might be a bit pricey for me though... it seems like it would give me more future options though due to all its 'features')

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 15
I don't know. maybe optical? maybe i'm just curious. but maybe you're right - its a fine DAC. it works perfectly for me. the only thing i dislike is not being able to bypass the volume thing and the crackle when i move the volume past 75%ish. but i find that to be somewhat irrelevant i guess.

Quote:
What's lacking with the uDAC?

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 15
I own the Little Dot DAC_I and it's a fine DAC for its price.

I used to own the uDAC too and the DAC_I is bit more neutral and detailed. Not to mention a plethora of input and output options.

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 15
how would the DACs you've mentioned compare with this Xindak DAC-5 (Which may be a bit out of my price range) and for that price would you suggest a different DAC?

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 15
I currently have the uDAC, also. I am looking to upgrade to either the V-DAC ($300) or the Dacmagic ($430).

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 15
For your budget I'd recommend the Audinst HUD-MX1. I upgraded from the HotAudio Destroyer. The soundstage definitely improves a lot to say the least. There's also a fairly good comparison on headfonia comparing the two (http://www.headfonia.com/nuforce-udac-and-comparisons/2/). For your reference I am using it with Matrix m-stage and AKG k702s on my Macbook Pro.

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 15
I have the HotAudio DacDestroyer (which is their budget dac) which I felt was better than the udac. I imagine the Dac-Extasy would be a very good step up, and that's a very good price on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back