What is the Modern Face of Horror?
Apr 6, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #46 of 76
I was gonna post the pic of the Asian Prince- that one really scares the hell out of me, but I can't find it
confused.gif

Oh well...

580smile.gif
Abe

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #47 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I was gonna post the pic of the Asian Prince- that one really scares the hell out of me, but I can't find it
confused.gif

Oh well...

580smile.gif
Abe

Why oh why did I Google this? Oh Lord...

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #48 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
In another thread, I saw an interesting artwork brought up by Scrypt - since it would have been out of topic in that thread, I wanted to share my thoughts in a separate thread. What do you think is the Modern Face of Horror?

My first fiancee.... I still shudder at how close I came 20+ years later...

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #49 of 76
Apr 6, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
fuhrer.speaks.jpg

If we're going there, then I'd almost rather nominate:
eichmann.jpg

(Does Godwin's Law apply if it's only images?)

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
(Does Godwin's Law apply if it's only images?)

let's see, by linking a pic of hitler, allenf has validated godwin's law. the closer a thread comes to infinite posts, the greater the chance someone will invoke the nazis.

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #58 of 76
I agree with scrypt. To borrow psychological terminology, a flat affect disturbs me far more than anything else. There is something infinitely dehumanizing about being on the receiving end of a blank, emotionless stare. The connection that all humans feel, and - to some extent - desire, is not there. If anything, there is an implied disregard for humanity in such an appearance; i.e., there is no empathy. That is real horror. For example, to use Lovecraft, Cthulhu operates beyond human ideas of good and evil. Pity isn't part of the Old One's emotional grammar. That is terror.

At the risk of being melodramatic, when one sees a vacant, expressionless countenance, one sees the abyss. Nothingness is far more terrifying than a babbling madman with a cleaver. The madman can be restrained; seeing the void reminds one that being "human" isn't necessarily an unalienable condition.

Apr 6, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #59 of 76
Quote:

Nothingness is far more terrifying than a babbling madman with a cleaver.

I'll take "nothingness" (whatever that means) anytime over a madman with a cleaver running towards me.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #60 of 76
Do you guys remember playing Dungeon and Dragons?

There was Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil for classification of evil.

Chaotic Evil would be like a madman with a cleaver.

Lawful Evil would be like Darth Vader.

Lawful Evil is scarier than Chaotic Evil.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back