What is the meaning of life?
Jan 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #31 of 69
Well, a lot depends on what the prof meant by education. If he just meant degrees, then he's an idiot. But if he meant spending your lifetime learning and being interested, there's not much to argue with that, imo.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #32 of 69
Well, a lot depends on what the prof meant by education. If he just meant degrees, then he's an idiot. But if he meant spending your lifetime learning and being interested, there's not much to argue with that, imo.

That I can see, but degrees are mentioned, and that's just paper and a willingness to comply to someone else's standards. I have a master's, it looks great on my wall and was very expensive, but it doesn't make me a better person.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #33 of 69

“I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous.​
They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer.​
They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind.​
They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.”​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
     ~ Neil Gaiman​

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #34 of 69

Quote:

“I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous.​
They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer.​
They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind.​
They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.”​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
     ~ Neil Gaiman​

This is exactly what i needed, the one the thing the professor forgot was humanity.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #35 of 69
Learning.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #36 of 69

Quote:
This is exactly what i needed, the one the thing the professor forgot was humanity.

One of the amazing things in life is that we all have a shared heritage in thought that is available to us. Your professor has one point of view, an important one to understand for practical grade reasons, but it's really only a small part of a much larger conversation. You can look at the history of philosophy and see that there are a ton of ways to think about fundamental issues of existence. It's all there, and we all have access to the ideas. No idea is so precious that it can't be examined and questioned. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #38 of 69

Quote:
The answer has been misinterpreted as 42. It should be "For Two".

Life only gains meaning when one loves someone or something other than "thyself". Life and it's meaning depends on the capacity and willingness to love.

Thought provoking thread. I think LFF is on to something.

I firmly believe the meaning of life is to find truth. Not the process of seeking but the act of finding. 

Do you agree? If so do you think truth is relative, differing from individual to individual? 
Or that there is a universal truth, applying to all of mankind?

I believe in the latter.

EDIT: 'you' is referring to anyone reading the thread.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #39 of 69

For my own part, I might rephrase that to: 

"I firmly believe the meaning of life is to find truth. Including both the process of seeking and the act of finding."

Quote:
<snip>

I firmly believe the meaning of life is to find truth. Not the process of seeking but the act of finding.

<snip>

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #40 of 69
"We don't see things as they are. We see things as we are."

~ Anais Nin

Hopefully we will all individually glimpse a minuscule fraction of Things as They Really Are before we depart this world. I believe that's the best most of us can hope for re Ultimate Truths in This Life.

Quote:

The answer has been misinterpreted as 42. It should be "For Two".

I do like this quite a bit 
smile.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #41 of 69
Life has no meaning, it is an accident. Of course, we will probably never know who/what set up the conditions for this accident to occur.

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #42 of 69
I just want to meet someone and fall in love, listen to good music, ride my bike, eat good bread, read all the time, and watch wonderful films. I would also like to travel, because it's nice to see new landscapes. THAT, is the meaning of my life. I don't want to worry so much about the sad things, because life is to short.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #43 of 69
The Meaning Of Life In Values

Light-Dark 
Time-Non Time
Existence-Nonexistence
Love-Hate
Good-Evil
Life-Death
Organization-Chaos
White-Black
Energy-Non Energy
True-False
Beauty-Ugly

All extreme aspects and factors share the same single existence and are the same value. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #44 of 69
^ Duality, cool. Nothing exists without its opposite 
smile.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #45 of 69

Quote:
^ Duality, cool. Nothing exists without its opposite 
smile.gif

And the opposites are really the same.
eek.gif
 Only the level of frequency has changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back