What is the closed back equivalent of the HD600?
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SenyorC

100+ Head-Fier
It seems that the HD600 is a headphone that goes through everyones hands at some point, with the majoirty of people praising it.

I am (unfortunately) limited to closed back headphones (shared office and young baby at home).

What would you consider to be the HD600 of closed backs?

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 17
It seems that the HD600 is a headphone that goes through everyones hands at some point, with the majoirty of people praising it.

I am (unfortunately) limited to closed back headphones (shared office and young baby at home).

What would you consider to be the HD600 of closed backs?
I made your same research, but my budget was not so high, so I bought audio technica msr7, they have little more bass, but a similar detail with a wider soundstage, it depends on your budget

Feb 2, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 17
The HD600 is indeed a fine headphone,and there is no official equivalent. I will say that after awhile theyre kinda boring sounding.
If you want to keep it in the Sennheiser family I highly recommend the HD250. Its discontinued,so buying used is the only way to go.
Like the HD600,it needs a good amp. It has better highs,staging,deeper sub bass,slams harder,more fun sounding and is just a better headphone. I'd give the mids to the HD600,but the HD250 is still good in that area as well.

For more info,check out my review of them.

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks @Monsterzero but I'm afraid that the used market here is virtually non-existant and what little you do find for sale is priced at over 80% of the new price or even more. Even Massdrop becomes a PITA to buy from due to shipping costs, import duties, tax etc.

I guess that the "everyone has one of these at some point" in closed back doesn't really exist. I suppose the Sony MDR-V6 was the closest to being found "everywhere" at one point but I find those more suitable for mixing and audio production than for pure enjoyment.

I am currently using the Beyerdynamic Custom Studio at work, which I don't actually have a problem with, I just get a little bored after a while and find that I actually prefer the sound of the M40X with angled pads (I have a couple of pairs of these).

I have a P20 and a JDS Atom on their way (along with a SU-8) so I will convert the CS to balanced and see what they play like with the P20.

I guess I am just looking for a set of "easy listening" closed backs for the 8 hours I spend in the office.

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 17
I made your same research, but my budget was not so high, so I bought audio technica msr7, they have little more bass, but a similar detail with a wider soundstage, it depends on your budget

Have you actually listened to the msr7 and HD600 side by side? Do they actually compare in sound (except for the increase in bass)?

I have actually nearly bougt some msr7's on a few ocasions but always ended up with another pair of m40x's (I have three) but I don't have anywhere to try before buy.

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Dude audition the Sony MDR-1AM2. Or hell just blindly buy it on Amazon and return it if you don't like them. They are very fun. Also comfortable for an all day session. I own the $1500 Sony M9 and I still love my 1AM2.

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 17
Dude audition the Sony MDR-1AM2. Or hell just blindly buy it on Amazon and return it if you don't like them. They are very fun. Also comfortable for an all day session. I own the $1500 Sony M9 and I still love my 1AM2.

The 1AM2 here show up as wireless, but the photo has a cable??

What is the difference between these and the 1A? (I tried the 1A and didn't fall in love :wink: )

Feb 2, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 17
The 1AM2 here show up as wireless, but the photo has a cable??

What is the difference between these and the 1A? (I tried the 1A and didn't fall in love :wink: )
I haven't heard the 1A but from what I hear, the 1AM2 is more balanced compared to the 1A.

Feb 2, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 17
Have you actually listened to the msr7 and HD600 side by side? Do they actually compare in sound (except for the increase in bass)?
I have actually nearly bought some msr7's on a few occasions but always ended up with another pair of m40x's (I have three) but I don't have anywhere to try before buy.
Check out the Soundmagic HP151 (closed) headphones.

Feb 2, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 17
a closed headphone that everyone that likes "fun" headphones should own
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohms
cheap, cheerful and nearly bomb proof..
I own the DT770 80-Ohm & 250-Ohm version, but I think SenyorC will like the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP151 better.

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 17

I have actually nearly bougt some msr7's on a few ocasions but always ended up with another pair of m40x's (I have three) but I don't have anywhere to try before buy.
Well if you read my signature, I have both of them, I had the mx40.. Msr7 are far way better

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 17
a closed headphone that everyone that likes "fun" headphones should own

beyerdynamic DT770Pro 80s

cheap, cheerful and nearly bomb proof..

I own the DT770 80-Ohm & 250-Ohm version, but I think SenyorC will like the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP151 better.

I haven't actually tried the DT770's but I have the Custom Studio's that (at least from the reviews that I have seen) are similar. As I said earlier, I do like the Custom Studio's and don't really have an issue with them, maybe it is just a case of this rabbit hole I have discovered :D

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 17
Well if you read my signature, I have both of them, I had the mx40.. Msr7 are far way better

Sorry, I missed your signature (or rather didn't look for it :) )

I do like the M40x so I guess I should give the MSR7's a try. How do they sound with the Darkvoice? I know the Darkvoice and the P20 are different animals but I don't discard ending up with a tube amp sometime in the future for home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back