What is the cheapest used CD out there that you like?
Jul 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
So I was just trolling some bands I like, and hit on Raffi's Revenge by Asian Dub Foundation. Great album, like Public Enemy with jungle sitar. But used, it's only going for 39 cents!

Amazon.com: Used and New: Rafi's Revenge

And that's through Amazon no less. Depressing.

What albums do you like out there that basically cost less than a can of soda to check out? Heck, the S&H on it cost more than the CD!

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 10
... A while-back I picked up The Offspring's Smash album for about .90 USD ... A pretty good dollar-to-noise ratio, I'd say ...

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 10
The only real bargain I can remember was buying Bush's Razorblade suitcase for $1.25 in a CD shop, so no shipping. I still like the album, but it's definitely not aged as well as some of their other stuff.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 10
I regularly pick up CDs at used store for HKD$5 (that's USD$0.65) apiece. Recently got a load of Milestone jazz reissues that way. Also, just got this amazing vocal album:

51%2B9bBUq46L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tales of a Voice by Greetje Bijma

This is vocal jazz, but not your usual shoo-bee-do-wap or scat. Bijma uses her incredibly versatile voice like an instrument, performing free-form improvisations. The best description I can think of is Meredith Monk goes African with a jazz ensemble.

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 10
I bought two copies of Drill's self-titled debut off Amazon for about $2.25 total. One turned out to be a radio promo copy!

It's one of my top ten, maybe even five albums of all time now.

That's about the only übercheap album I've ever scored, unless you count the $8.50 Wax Trax! copy of [Naïve] by KMFDM I found about a year ago
eek.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 10
Last weekend I picked up the following for $1 a piece at a thrift store

Los Lobos - Colossal Had
Alan Stivell - Celtic Symphony
Hilliard Ensemble - Byrd: Masses
Simon Preston - Organ Favorites
Ian Bostridge, Europa Galante & Fabio Biondi - Bach: Cantatas & Arias
Ray Charles - Blues is My Middle Name
The Little Willies

Recently I also got

U2 - Zooropa
Portishead's first album
Cowboy Junkies - Pale Sun, Crescent Moon
Cowboy Junkies - Caution Horses
Miles Davis - Live Evil
NIN - Broken

All have been in perfect shape.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 10
I recently got Why We Fight, by John Wesley Harding, for $0.01, before shipping and handling, and it's a great album in my opinion

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Last night I listened to the s/t by Prinzhorn Dance school. It ran me $3 shipped from Amazon. I always thought it was an overlooked album from last year. Although well reviewed, it never really made much of a beep. The sound is post punk and austere. Songs clip in at Wire like three minutes or less and follow a basic blueprint - a chunky bass line hums, perhaps with a shout chorus, then a slow marching beat, followed by clean licks of guitar and Prinz's dry delivery painting bleak, smog filled working class imagery.

Not for everyone, but I can imagine those with the right mentality loving the album. I did.

YouTube: You Are the Space Invader
YouTube: Crackjack Docker
YouTube: Up! Up! Up!

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by crygor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you got the original Naïve record at this price, you're damn lucky... the one with the carmina burana sample?

DSCN1343.jpg

DSCN1342.jpg

I kid you not. $8.50 at the Everyday Music on Burnside here in Portland, about a year, maybe 18 months ago.

Sascha also signed it, but I'm not sure if I'll get yelled at for posting the cover
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back