What is the best upgrade from Sennheiser HD 203 and PortaPro
Jul 12, 2011 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

glTexcoord

New Head-Fier
The title speaks it all.

I'm new here and hope to hear your advices. I just bought these 2 cans very recently, the PortaPro in June and the 203s - less than a week ago, and I have to say I'm still not really satisfied with any one of them.

What I used for reference is a pair of cheap PC speaker - the Logitech x230. Of the 2 HPs, the PortaPro is closer to the X230 in performance. I like the details, the sound stage and smooth sound it produces. The only draw back is that it does not sound good with vocal, when listening to the track 500 miles - Noon, for example, the female voice is dull, blurred and not as smooth as the PC speakers'.

So I ordered the 203s in the hope that its brighter sound signature will fix the problem that the PortaPro has. The 203s do have a cleaner sound when listening to vocal, but it underperform the PortaPro in every other respects: the mids are too thin, voices sound harh, way to loud and drowning the instruments. The cello, guitar sounds weird on this 203s. It seems that all in all, the PortaPro suit me better because I listen to mostly vocal, jazz and some classical. I don't do any rock, metal, hiphop, electronic, etc..

So, the question is, what is my best upgrade or should I upgrade at all, given that my budget is quite limited: around $100.
Source: laptop, PC onboard sound, my Blackberry phone (I prefer not to invest to an head-amp, and if I have to, it shouldn't cost more than 60$)
Music: Jazz, Vocal, Classical

How about Sennheiser HD 555? How does it compare to Audio Technica AD700 or an AKG in its price range? I heard a lot of mixed reviews about it, some positive, and some negative. What makes me worried is those that say the 555 sounds 'boring', flat. If that 's the case, then this 555 is no better than the 203 that I am not able to love, right? I know these 555s are discontinued but I can still get it here new for about $100.

Thanks for any advices and pardon my English :)

P/S:
Suggestion for HPs from other brands are also welcome, but those about Senn would be most helpful because Senn HPs are very easy to find in my area.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Actually, Jazz, classical, and vocals are areas where the HD555 excels.  I would suggest going with the HD555 or if you can extent your budget a bit the HD595.  If not, then you also have the option of tweaking the HD555 by performing the famous/infamous foam removal mod.

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Some people like the AD700's over the 555's..both models are good performers in jazz and classical though. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks all, looks like for jazz/vocal/classical, I can't go wrong with HD 555. According to some comparisons on this forums, the AD700 seems a bit better overall, and esp for game, but I mostly use HPs for music and will focus on the particular genres I mentioned, so I think it should be fine with the 555. And I like the look of 555 a lot better, the AD700 's appearance is so cheap and boring.

Will proceed now... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back