What is the best Under $30 over-ear headphones?
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

cxnxrx

New Head-Fier
I want something that will last longer than Sennheiser HD202 and and has pretty good sound. I hate headphones with a lot of bass too me it sounds very muddled.

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 17
Maybe read about the Behringer HPS3000 Studio Headphones and see what you think. I would more highly recommend the Superlux HD681, which sounds terrific and has very good build quality for its price point. Maybe read about it as well and see what you think. I have the 681 Evo version, which has more bass and is therefore likely not one you would go for. Still, it sounds awesome for its price. It is possible it could work for you.

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 17
Below $30.00 my first thought was also the Superlux HD681. I'm drawing a blank on what else I like at that price...for another $10-20 there are a few more things though.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 17
Below $30.00 my first thought was also the Superlux HD681. I'm drawing a blank on what else I like at that price...for another $10-20 there are a few more things though.

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 17
Have not heard them but on another forum there was a lot of talk on the Monoprice 8323's being really good for the price.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 17
I have had the 8323s They definitely need new pads, they sound pretty good...I think they will be about par with the HD202 for build quality though, they are really plasticky. I don't think they would be longer lasting.

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 17
Have not heard them but on another forum there was a lot of talk on the Monoprice 8323's being really good for the price.

...and now there's a wireless, aptX version of the venerable Monoprice 8323, the Monoprie 24735:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24735

247354.jpg

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 17
...and now there's a wireless, aptX version of the venerable Monoprice 8323, the Monoprie 24735:

It looks like they added all that technology and then slapped crappy pads on this one too. Seriously, I think this is a good design to make this addition to. There is plenty of room inside the cups to add things, they are light weight, they have a good form factor (they fold into a pretty small tight package)....but why wouldn't you give it decent ear pads? Why go to the trouble to add bluetooth, but not put a MOMENT of thought into how they feel on l your head?

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 17

I just looked it up on the site and they are only $25.00. if they sound the same as the originals I would bet these are the best bluetooth over ear for less than $30.00. With good pads they are very light and comfortable and the sound is good. My issue with them was partially my preference for open backed headphones, and partially a slight echoey/boomy sound they had sometimes. I think with a little care put into damping they would improve in that regard....but if you like the sound of closed backs these are great for the price.
and it looks like they have the same or very similar pads to the originals, which means you HAVE to get new pads for these. They are unlivable in stock form. I did a sock mod on them that helped, but really they just need something like the $12.00 Senitek pads.

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 17
Here they are painted gray and sock modded. Very fun versatile headphones.

IMG_20161024_130823.jpg

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 17
It looks like they added all that technology and then slapped crappy pads on this one too. Seriously, I think this is a good design to make this addition to. There is plenty of room inside the cups to add things, they are light weight, they have a good form factor (they fold into a pretty small tight package)....but why wouldn't you give it decent ear pads? Why go to the trouble to add bluetooth, but not put a MOMENT of thought into how they feel on l your head?

I agree! I had the 8323 (I have since gifted them), and I remember liking the sound (for the price) but really not liking the comfort.

I've already bought the 24735 wireless version and they've already shipped and should be arriving next Wednesday, and I also ordered some Turtle Beach X12 pads from eBay for about $8 -- that's my first cheap option but I may do the Brainwavz HM5 leather pads later, but they are about $22 $28 on Amazon if I remember correctly, and that's only about $3 more than the headphones! :D

But I really wish they would spend a little more on the pads -- make the 'phone $30 instead of $25, even $32, and I'd be happy to pay for the enhanced comfort.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 17
I just looked it up on the site and they are only $25.00. if they sound the same as the originals I would bet these are the best bluetooth over ear for less than $30.00. With good pads they are very light and comfortable and the sound is good. My issue with them was partially my preference for open backed headphones, and partially a slight echoey/boomy sound they had sometimes. I think with a little care put into damping they would improve in that regard....but if you like the sound of closed backs these are great for the price.
and it looks like they have the same or very similar pads to the originals, which means you HAVE to get new pads for these. They are unlivable in stock form. I did a sock mod on them that helped, but really they just need something like the $12.00 Senitek pads.

+1 on that -- I had the 8323 and gave them away mostly because of the comfort, but I also am highly partial to open backed headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back