What is the best SILICONE ciem on the market
Dec 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wasily

New Head-Fier
I have tralucent 1p2 which I love but want something silicon and custom with great isolation and good bass (most of my listening is electronica). I've heard great things about the spiral ear 5 way but was wondering if there was anything else in the market that was comparable? Any suggestions much appreciated...

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 19
There aren't too many silicone IEMs.
Sure, you have the ACS T1 and a few others maybe, but I wouldn't restrict myself to silicone only since acrylic ones don't isolate much worse. How much bass do you need? What have you heard so far?

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 19
The most prominent two brands that produce silicone-based custom IEMs are ACS and Sensaphonics, but their products are very stage-oriented, and are not always the ideal sound signature for personal listening, especially if you want something similar to the 1Plus2. Companies like Minerva are also stage-oriented in nature. Other than Spiral Ear, two brands that you can take note of are CustomArt and Noble Audio.

CustomArt, like Spiral, produces CIEMs in Poland. The founder, Peter, is currently working on a flagship model, codenamed 'Harmony', that is slated to be released early next year. He has a prototype at the moment, and despite positive impressions from people, Peter isn't satisfied with the sound and wants to make it significantly better. Here's the CustomArt thread, where you can find more information: http://www.head-fi.org/t/663051/new-custom-iem-company-custom-art-discussion-review-and-appreciation-thread

Noble Audio, --- brainchild of the Wizard, Brannan Mason & Co., on the other hand, offers silicone-based variants of their 3C, 4C, 5C models in the 3S, 4S, and 5S. While none of the three are considered "flagship" models of the Noble product lineup (the flagship model is only available in acrylic), the 4S was received very well by ljokerl, who ranks it among the very best of the CIEMs that he's heard.

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 19
As noted, Sensaphonics designs are stage-specific and aimed at an accurate, reference sound signature, as pro musicians generally have a sound engineer to tailor both the response and the mix to each individual's needs. Starting from neutral ground is a big positive in this situation.

Both the Sensaphonics 2X-S and 2MAX (which are differentiated by their sensitivity) use the same drivers to achieve their neutral signature. The triple-driver 3MAX is our only deliberately non-reference model, adding a second bass driver. This model has proven popular with DJs, rappers, EDM producers and other bass-oriented performers, and may be right for you, wasily. All are two-way (single crossover) systems with coaxial cable.

Best of luck in your search.

May 12, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 19
I have SE 5-way and the new Hamony 8 from Custom Art will arrive to me in early June. I also like to have silicon for comfort and isolation. I have JH16 with JH3A amp and 1plus2 to compare with. If you find any other high end silicon CIEM out there please let me know.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 19
  I have SE 5-way and the new Hamony 8 from Custom Art will arrive to me in early June. I also like to have silicon for comfort and isolation. I have JH16 with JH3A amp and 1plus2 to compare with. If you find any other high end silicon CIEM out there please let me know.

Any comparison between the SE5 and the Harmony 8?

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 19
I also have some fit issue with my Harmony but apart from that they sound fantastic to me! A amazing product!

I also have the Noble S4 on order in my hunt for the perfect silicon CIEM, but for now I think the Harmony 8 will be hard to beat.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 19
One more thing the recessed socket on the 5ways are amazing! Very easy to change cable (if it fit like whiplash OM) and yet when cable is attached it will never fall off. I can be a little bit afraid to lose a earpiece when having the harmony hanging round my neck. That would never happen with the recessed socket on 5ways.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #12 of 19
I like the harmony much better for now. So much that I will send the 5way for a checkup before doing any detailed comparison.

Please tell us more about how it compares to 1plus2 and SE 5way! Thank you.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 19
1plus2 is on service and I will probably change them for the Ref1. I could not get a good seal with my 1plus2. The only IEM that can do good seal for me is the Shure ones which has slimmer nozzle. I will really have to try to find better tips for 1plus2 to be able to fairly analyze the sound of it. So again, sorry but no detailed comparison for now. But fit problems aside, then I liked the Harmony better. But I could really not get a good lower end out of the 1plus2 and I felt that it was leap to the mids and highs where as the Harmonys was more coherent. But this is likely to be because of the bad seal on 1plus2.

I have the JH16 with the JH3A which use to be my favorite system but is now challenged by the Harmonys.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #15 of 19
No I only have the 5ways for now, but I have the Noble S4 on order.

I have problems with the upper mids lower treble on my 5ways. I still don't know if its my personal taste that differs from other 5way owners or if there is something wrong with my units.

But apart from the "megaphoneic" not so coherent sound in the upper midrange ( as i hear it) I love my 5ways! They are by far my most used IEM until now.

EDIT: I thought Mimouille was asking me if I have heard any other silicon CIEMs, but he was actually talking about him self. Lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back