What is the best portable headphone for me?
May 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I listen to music all day, I'm shopping for a new pare of headphones. I just decided I didn't want the amperior headphones because they were too uncomfortable. I just decided the AKG K240 doesn't isolate well enough.

Comfort and isolation is paramount because I listen to music all day. I'm looking for closed headphones

Build quality - As long as it doesn't break if I accidentally sit on it I'll be fine. 

My drivers - iPod Classic 160 gig (my main unit of music playing), iPod Touch, iPhone 3g. I want something with a good sound stage and accuracy, I want it to handle everything I throw at it too. 

Isolation - not a big concern, because these will be for around the house, and maybe a little on the go use.

My sound signature (this is where I'm just guessing what I want) - I want a good sound stage and smoothness and can handle anything I throw at it that doesn't sound muddy or congested. Here's my last fm http://www.last.fm/user/metaldiscussor. You can see I have over 800 artists I listen to, including shoegaze, post rock, and post punk, but mostly metal.

May 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 12
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Stating some preference/criteria in terms of sound signature, genres, comfort, isolation, build, etc, would be immensely helpful in narrowing down something from within the selection given. Otherwise we have nothing to go on.

May 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Stating some preference/criteria in terms of sound signature, genres, comfort, isolation, build, etc, would be immensely helpful in narrowing down something from within the selection given. Otherwise we have nothing to go on.

I want a good soundstage and accuracy. Something that separates instruments well and can handle whatever I throw at it but doesn't sound muddy, or congested. Here's my last fm http://www.last.fm/user/metaldiscussor. You can see I have over 800 artists I listen to, but mostly metal. Comfort is paramount because I listen to music all day. Build - as long as it's not about to fall apart if I accidentally sit on it or something. Isolation - not a big concern, because these will be for around the house, and maybe a little on the go use. My drivers - iPod Classic 160 gig (my main unit of music playing), Go-Dap GD-03 amplifier, iPod Touch, iPhone 3g. I want to know what my options are for unamplified and amplified. On ear isn't an option. Over ear, open or closed is fine, as long as it sounds really good.

May 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 12
I'll just stick to the quoting the updated OP as it's easier to read due to the format.
Quote:
Hi. I listen to music all day, I'm shopping for a new pare of headphones. I just decided I didn't want the amperior headphones because they were too uncomfortable. 

Comfort is paramount because I listen to music all day. I want to know the options for amplified and unamplified. Over ear, open or closed is fine, as long as it sounds really good. On ear isn't an option.

Build quality - As long as it doesn't break if I accidentally sit on it I'll be fine. 

My drivers - iPod Classic 160 gig (my main unit of music playing), iPod Touch, iPhone 3g. I want something with a good sound stage and accuracy, I want it to handle everything I throw at it too. 

Isolation - not a big concern, because these will be for around the house, and maybe a little on the go use.

My sound signature (this is where I'm just guessing what I want) - I want a good sound stage and accuracy. I want to hear all the instruments separately and can handle anything I throw at it that doesn't sound muddy or congested. Here's my last fm http://www.last.fm/user/metaldiscussor. You can see I have over 800 artists I listen to, but mostly metal.

"On ear isn't an option" - Curious as to why you've got the Amperiors listed then. Have only heard the HD-25-1, but these retain the same form factor, design, and from the sound of impressions and reports, a large part of the sound, if not being nearly identical. They do phenomenal with regards to detailing and separation, pretty aggressive in that regard. The soundstage is utterly flat and not very expansive at all though.

Otherwise, good staging and accuracy, separation. Definitely the K550s out of the choices for sheer stage size alone. If you can take a decent hit of upper mids (a peak around that area), they might work out. Do try them out to see if you can get used to the sig, as well as sometimes people can't get a proper seal with the pads and the large cups. 

The Momentums would be a nice compromise/balance between either. Pick your poison.

May 4, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
"On ear isn't an option" - Curious as to why you've got the Amperiors listed then. Have only heard the HD-25-1, but these retain the same form factor, design, and from the sound of impressions and reports, a large part of the sound, if not being nearly identical. They do phenomenal with regards to detailing and separation, pretty aggressive in that regard. The soundstage is utterly flat and not very expansive at all though.

Otherwise, good staging and accuracy, separation. Definitely the K550s out of the choices for sheer stage size alone. If you can take a decent hit of upper mids (a peak around that area), they might work out. Do try them out to see if you can get used to the sig, as well as sometimes people can't get a proper seal with the pads and the large cups. 

The Momentums would be a nice compromise/balance between either. Pick your poison.

Which one would be better for metal? The K550 or momentum? 

May 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Which one would be better for metal? The K550 or momentum? 

Any subjective characteristics that you look for when judging something as being "better" for rock? Timbre, note characteristics, quantity/quality of a particular instrument? As proficiency in terms of genre reproduction can be entirely up to preference. 

May 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 12
I love the AKG 240. Going by your present phone choice, have you looked into V-Moda headphones? I can't speak of the over-ear phones, as I prefer on-ear phones at present. I love the M-80.

It might help if you list the type of music/bands/instruments/etc. that you like. 

May 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm into shoegaze, indie, death metal, black metal and ambient, including:
Sun Devoured Earth, Mütiilation, Artillery, Swans, The Chasm, Kreator, Coroner, Slayer, Acid Bath, The Ruins of Beverast, Defeated Sanity, Beherit, My Bloody Valentine, Gorement, Joy Division, Lifelover, Death, Vektor, Xasthur, Dawn, Electric Wizard, Bathory, Midnight, Protector, Paysage d'Hiver, Vinterland, Demilich, Have a Nice Life, Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, Sepultura, Morpheus Descends, Hellhammer, Windir, Mercyful Fate, Toxik, Metallica, King Diamond, Sodom, Ulver, The Chameleons, Madvillain, Vio-Lence, Koji Kondo, Obtained Enslavement, Taake, Deathspell Omega, Moonblood, Deteriorate, Agent Steel, The Microphones.

This is a copy paste function from last fm. I haven't been listening to much metal lately, actually I've been listening to mostly shoegaze. I still listen to metal though. 

I mainly use my headphones at home. I like to generally wear them all day. So that's why I've been considering the AKG K550. In fact I think the only reason I haven't gotten these yet is because they don't have a detachable cord.

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 12
  I'm into shoegaze, indie, death metal, black metal and ambient, including:
Sun Devoured Earth, Mütiilation, Artillery, Swans, The Chasm, Kreator, Coroner, Slayer, Acid Bath, The Ruins of Beverast, Defeated Sanity, Beherit, My Bloody Valentine, Gorement, Joy Division, Lifelover, Death, Vektor, Xasthur, Dawn, Electric Wizard, Bathory, Midnight, Protector, Paysage d'Hiver, Vinterland, Demilich, Have a Nice Life, Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, Sepultura, Morpheus Descends, Hellhammer, Windir, Mercyful Fate, Toxik, Metallica, King Diamond, Sodom, Ulver, The Chameleons, Madvillain, Vio-Lence, Koji Kondo, Obtained Enslavement, Taake, Deathspell Omega, Moonblood, Deteriorate, Agent Steel, The Microphones.

This is a copy paste function from last fm. I haven't been listening to much metal lately, actually I've been listening to mostly shoegaze. I still listen to metal though. 

I mainly use my headphones at home. I like to generally wear them all day. So that's why I've been considering the AKG K550. In fact I think the only reason I haven't gotten these yet is because they don't have a detachable cord.

How much can you afford ? What is the budget ?

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 12
  How much can you afford ? What is the budget ?

I've had the sennheiser momentum for months now. They get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back