What is the best over the neck headphone?
Oct 30, 2002 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

imdisturbedbyyou

New Head-Fier
ANy ideas? What brands? What models? An inline remote would be nice too on the headphones... This is my first post yay!
biggrin.gif

a question to go with this topic, what does a gold plater plug do?

Oct 30, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 17
Welcome to Head-Fi sorry about your wallet (the usual greeting). I dont know about these headphones but i will tell you that the "street style"(behind the neck) headphone gets constantly bashed around here. The only ones ive ever liked at all are the ones that came with the Intel Pocket concert even though they werent that good.

Oct 31, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 17
Can someone explain why is is so difficult to get "over the head" portable models instead of this silly neckband type? Why did they invent a neckband version in the first place? Please don't say it was because of toques or hair gel, I'll puke.

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 17
I also agree with the Koss KSC-55. It is said to have the same drivers as the KSC-50s and KSC-35s, and if this is the case, then they probably sound very good. I own a pair of the KSC-50s, and despite them being the lesser of the two earclips, they still sound pretty phenomenal for the price.

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 17
Cuz it's street style, yo. You know, when you out in the streets, you can't have no headphone resting on yo head. Everybody from the streets knows that ****'s gotta go behind the neck, yo.

Oct 31, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by JMS
Cuz it's street style, yo. You know, when you out in the streets, you can't have no headphone resting on yo head. Everybody from the streets knows that ****'s gotta go behind the neck, yo.

LOL

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
OMG I want those.

They're David Clark H10-30 aviation headphones. I personally own a pair of H10-40s (better mic.) that I upgraded to Gel earpads and headpad. Both are discontinued, but DC still makes similar units.

If you want phones with good isolation, these are it. They're designed to filter out small plane engine noise and have a rating of at least 27 db (low frequency). Put them on and it's like the world just dissapeared. They are anything but audiophile quality, however.

Phreon

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Phreon
They're David Clark H10-30 aviation headphones. I personally own a pair of H10-40s (better mic.) that I upgraded to Gel earpads and headpad. Both are discontinued, but DC still makes similar units.

If you want phones with good isolation, these are it. They're designed to filter out small plane engine noise and have a rating of at least 27 db (low frequency). Put them on and it's like the world just dissapeared. They are anything but audiophile quality, however.

Phreon

Hmm... could be a hefty DIY project...

Wonder if I could put decent drivers in them to make them sound better? Granted, they will never be true audiophile... but?

Aw screw it. It'd be easier to where them with Ety's on underneath.

Nov 3, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 17
Yes we did!

Koss KSC-55 from headphone.com

The gold plated plug does nothing much. It means that when you rotate the plug, you wont get as many clicks and pops as with a nickel plated plug.

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 17
An issue I have with the KSC 55s is they hurt a little bit unless you spend a little while fiddling with them. I have them, and find they push a lot in towards your head, and it's just a bit much on the pressure. Unfortunately, they probably are the best sounding, but are pretty uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back