What is the best Open-Back headphone for around $1,000? Why?
Jun 27, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #16 of 20
Hmm, this is interesting. I am looking for a headphone, that can be used for most genres.
So as a few people have said, this isn’t a question we can answer for you, only give our opinions. Let me give you an example with three of my favorites under 1k.

Hd800 with sdr mod or hd800s. Huge soundstage, excellent instrument separation, fantastic for classical and genres with complicated passages. People can find that bass is lacking compared to others. Best for gaming.

OG focal clear. Great tone, smaller and more ‘impactful’ soundstage. Solid build.

He6se. Does everything the clear does and more (imho) but only, and I mean only, if you have an amp that is powerful enough to drive them properly. With a standard ‘good’ headphone amp I’d stick with the clears. With a otl tube amp id stick with hd800. The adorama version has qc issues with the magnets.

So, basically, what fits your situation? What is your favorite genres? What is your current chain? I’d like to say you can’t go wrong with any of these great headphones under 1k, but you can.

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #17 of 20
Hmm, this is interesting. I am looking for a headphone, that can be used for most genres.
To me (and other people I've read here) the Beyer 1990 Pros work very good or perfect with the genres I use to listen: classic rock, melodic metal, classical, neoclassical, jazz, OSTs and some pop. If you can stand the Beyer peak at about 7-8 KHz, I'm more sensitive to the peak at 5-6 KHz.

Jun 27, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #18 of 20
The adorama version has qc issues with the magnets.
I do not believe it's Adorama version specific, same happens to V1 only sold through HiFiMan store. In any case HifiMan or Adorama replacing affected units no questions asked. Not suggesting that this is normal, just not the reason IMO to skip on these truly wonderful headphones.
And yes, Hifiman QC is "legendary".

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #19 of 20
If you don't have the power to drive the HE-6SE, the HE-500 is still a baller headphone and it has a very beautiful midrange that comes off as more smooth and lush. They are really enjoyable headphones that sound way better than they cost. I really liked the HE-6SE but I never had the right amp to drive it and the 500 is a far less fussy H/P that is among my favorites.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back