What is the best music player for Macs?
Apr 14, 2006 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
I mean, is there a Foobar for the Mac? Ones that also play ALAC? I only have iTunes, VLC player, and Realplayer on my iMac.

Is there a better app?

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 16
Well, it's not nearly as advanced as Foobar yet, but there is Cog. It doesn't play ALAC, but I prefer it to VLC for FLAC. It has a lot of basic features missing, too, that I wish it had, but I'm glad it exists. Try it for yourself and see if you think it's worth your time.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 16
Apr 15, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
It will help if you tell us what you want it to do better / differently.

I'll just use the opportunity to recommend looking at

http://www.yellowmug.com/sk4it/
&
http://www.mani.de/en/software/macosx/ivolume/

for anyone using iTunes on a Mac.

Plus
http://www.macamp.com/
If you want to tweak your sound

I want a player that will play FLAC, ALAC, have a good EQ and basically, produce great SQ like FOOBAR. I don't need it to rip or burn, just to play music. ANd oh yeah, creating and playing playlists is a must.

Apr 15, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 16
How good is iTunes on Mac? One of the big advantages of foobar on windows is ASIO/Kernel so that it skips through kmixer; on the Mac there is no kmixer, and the foobar website says that any difference in sound is placebo, so would iTunes really sound better on Macs? I know it's irrelevant, but still.

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 16
Anybody? Ireally want a better player than iTunes on my iMac.

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz
Anybody? Ireally want a better player than iTunes on my iMac.

Connectz, I think the problem is that iTunes really is a very good player and safe for FLAC does all you want with excellence. Especially in regard to playlists I wonder what is to miss. OS X is also seemingly void of all the "player A sounds better than player B due to OS issue X" nonsense present on Windows. Unless you articulate what features you *want* that iTunes doesn't offer / you think it doesn't offer - you will get very little help.

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz
I want a player that will play FLAC, ALAC, have a good EQ and basically, produce great SQ like FOOBAR. I don't need it to rip or burn, just to play music. ANd oh yeah, creating and playing playlists is a must.

Honestly? I think you'll just have to wait until the Cog developer decides to add ALAC support.

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 16
I understand. Its just that I love FOOBAR'S sq over any other player I have ever listened too. Winamp is okay but its no FOOBAR. It sounds better on my PC than iTunes does on my iMac.

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #14 of 16
I like iTunes just fine on a Mac.
I use xACT (google it) to convert shorten, monkey audio, and FLAC
to aaif (I used to use MacFlac, and Shorten, but xACT does it all and also does ALE). Then I import to iTunes and convert to ALAC.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 16
After trying a ton of other players (especially when there was a ton of other players before iTunes marketshare took off) I think iTunes is the best player because of its Applescript support. If you haven't spent time over at Doug's Applescripts do. Once you extend the apps use you may even prefer it to Foobar.

If you want to try other apps you could try XMMS (under X11), Audion, MacAmp Lite X, Whamb, etc. Cog seems to be the most actively developed. If you're trying to use ALAC files, again iTunes is probably your best bet.

As for EQing, I occasionally use Audio Hijack Pro to apply real-time EQ. You can also extend that (with VST plugin thru AHP) with the Mac only Canz3D.

VCL is a great multi-codec player, but it's volume implementation is a little screwed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back