What is the best headphone to listen to Pink Floyd?
Oct 13, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #31 of 78

Quote:
if im listening to pink floyd, its definitely LCD-2

yeah, well there's that too.  
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #32 of 78
division_bell_stage.gif

Indie rock group Pink Floyd performs an intimate show for friends and family

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #33 of 78
Pink Floyd is both grand and intimate and Indie Rock does not come close to describe their work. Take "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" and compare it to "Animals". Pink Floyd is Pink Floyd given they have/had their own approach to making music. 

Non the less a headphone just for Pink Floyd seems a bit silly. Given this is Head-Fi, who can blame you...

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #34 of 78

Quote:
Pink Floyd is both grand and intimate and Indie Rock does not come close to describe their work. Take "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" and compare it to "Animals". Pink Floyd is Pink Floyd given they have/had their own approach to making music. 

Non the less a headphone just for Pink Floyd seems a bit silly. Given this is Head-Fi, who can blame you...

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #36 of 78

Quote:
Never was... Prog was the dominant genre Pink Floyd played through out the 60s to the early 80s.  Gilmour era Pink Floyd can be considered more Pop/Rock.  As for that genre... I'll take my Sennheiser HD598s. 

indie rock is a subjective term.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #37 of 78
Too subjective, with Pink Floyd you need detail, balance, bass and sound stage. Prog-Rock pretty much covers it, confusing as it is to define Prog-Rock...

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #38 of 78

Quote:
Strange, because he seems to be from Oregon... One would think that he might be a little more 'accepting' of these things.

To the OP, how about listing some other music that you like, because I still find recommending a headphone based on one band patently ridiculous.

When you live in Oregon and everyone has the sense of humor than can be summed up in.
"Hey should be get this baked?"
"HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, BAKED LOLOLOL 420 WEED LOLOL YOU SAID BAKED WHYAMINOTHIGHRIGHTNOW?"
it gets really annoying.  Not to mention that it was just a stupid joke on a forum that tries*loosely* to keep a "sophisticated" and by that I mean not fifteen year old's loling and LMAFOing up a storm on this site.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #39 of 78
Quote:
indie rock is a subjective term.

Maybe, but in Pink Floyd's case they were part of the prog rock movement.  I've never heard them referred to as indie.  Their music did follow a trend during the 60-70s.  They are considered progressive along with King Crimson and Jethro Tull.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't indie more likely to refer to the lack of a music label? 

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #40 of 78

Wiki describes Pink Floyd as progressive and psychedelic rock which I think is quite accurate. "Be Careful with That Axe, Eugene" is a classic example of their psychedelic streak.
For my ears at least, on top of a wide/accurate soundstage and a slightly coloured low end, I would prefer warm phones over ones with a lean sound. The alarm clocks at the beginning of "Time" has always been harsh to my ears until I heard them through a pair of LCD2s.
A cross between them and the D7000 would be a good match :)

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #41 of 78

Quote:

Wiki describes Pink Floyd as progressive and psychedelic rock which I think is quite accurate. "Be Careful with That Axe, Eugene" is a classic example of their psychedelic streak.
For my ears at least, on top of a wide/accurate soundstage and a slightly coloured low end, I would prefer warm phones over ones with a lean sound. The alarm clocks at the beginning of "Time" has also been harsh to my ears until I heard them through a pair of LCD2s.
A cross between them and the D7000 would be a good match :)

hmmm a cross between them? what about hd 650s, don't they have a similar sound signature as lcd-2 and d7000? i've always imagined lcd-2s to be just better hd 650s with more balanced but better bass and d7000s to be a more musical version of the hd 650s with better highs.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #42 of 78
They are out of OP budget ($250). Even if he buy them used, they need extra $250+ for amping to open soundstage wide enough for PF. I can heartily recommend DarkVoice 336 > HD650 or Nuforce Icon HDP > HD650 for PF. Unfortunately, these are our of budget.

Quote:
what about hd 650s...

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #43 of 78
oh sorry, i was just responding to swishbrade's post about the lcd-2/d2000 comment

umm for 250 bucks he could buy sr225/sr125 and an entry level amp, grados don't need much amping 

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #44 of 78
Pink floyd is well recorded so any pair of headphones which are revealing will sound impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back