what is the best closed headphone for 5g ipod
Mar 15, 2006 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dukebarrington

New Head-Fier
hi

I have about 100 - 150 dollars to spend on a pair of over the ear full sized closed headphones for my ipod ( for home listening)

I don't want to have to use any other equipment i.e. an amp

i mainly listen to rock, alt, blues and country

i don't want anything with small ear cups like the senn px200's

please help this newbie

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 14
AKG K81DJ seems to be quite hype from one thread under $100
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 14
Another vote for K81 from a former HD25-1 owner.
The Senns are overrated imho. Have a look at the K81 thread.
Though in the end its a matter of taste so you should really try to listen to as many headphones you can and decide after that.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 14
In the great head-fi tradition, I would highly recommend the ATH-W10VTG, which, if you can find it, can be had for $140 ~ $200 as outclassing all the mentioned cans in this thread by a fair margin. Actually, there are very few headphones at any price I would prefer straight out of the iPod. Maybe the PS-1, but that costs about 10x your budget.

But of course finding a W10VTG, and at that price, is the hard part.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
In the great head-fi tradition, I would highly recommend the ATH-W10VTG, which, if you can find it, can be had for $140 ~ $200 as outclassing all the mentioned cans in this thread by a fair margin. Actually, there are very few headphones at any price I would prefer straight out of the iPod. Maybe the PS-1, but that costs about 10x your budget.

But of course finding a W10VTG, and at that price, is the hard part.

Best,

-Jason

I'm sure the AT is a very nice can, but have you actually heard the K81?
I wouldnt underestimate it, it definately plays in a class higher than its pricepoint or naming ("DJ") would make you think..
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
I'm sure the AT is a very nice can, but have you actually heard the K81?
I wouldnt underestimate it, it definately plays in a class higher than its pricepoint or naming ("DJ") would make you think..
biggrin.gif

Whoa whoa. No question. The AT is totally out of the K81's league. It's a golden set of headphones... I'd pay up to $500 for a pair.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Whoa whoa. No question. The AT is totally out of the K81's league. It's a golden set of headphones... I'd pay up to $500 for a pair.

I only heard 2 AT Woodies, the W2002 and the old W11JPN. How different is the W10VTG to them? Those 2 didnt do much for me but they surely were better than the K81. Still i enjoy the K81 more
biggrin.gif
Something about them is just right.
confused.gif

Next step up from the K81 in quality would definately need to be a good source + amp + (open) headphone in the 300$ range.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtr3me
Senn HD25-1. Specially if you want closed and portable. They rock

I'm with xtr3me here. Super, super headphones for the kind of music you listen to, and you'll do just fine without an amp. They're typically priced around $200 new, but with persistence and luck you'll find a pair in your price range.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Another vote for K81 from a former HD25-1 owner.
The Senns are overrated imho. Have a look at the K81 thread.
Though in the end its a matter of taste so you should really try to listen to as many headphones you can and decide after that.

Could you go into more detail on the differences between them? I'm sure it would be a big help for many of us deciding between these to Head-Fi adored portables.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I only heard 2 AT Woodies, the W2002 and the old W11JPN. How different is the W10VTG to them?

The W11JPN is sonically the direct successor to the W10VTG and carries on the strengths of the W10VTG while improving upon its weaknesses. As such I'd put the W10VTG a small, but meaningful, step behind the W11JPN's.

But if I had to pick which one I'd keep, I'd keep the W10VTG. I like how it's mini-terminated and it has a nice spaciousness that works brilliantly straight out of an iPod. Actually, I don't quite hear that spaciousness out of the JPNs, but that could be attributable to a number of things.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadKase
Could you go into more detail on the differences between them? I'm sure it would be a big help for many of us deciding between these to Head-Fi adored portables.

@headkase: I wrote some comparisons in the k81 thread. IMHO the HD25-1 doesnt have much going for it. The AKG has a natural sound (though a little bassy) and wonderful mids for such a small closed headphone. The mids alone makes it better than the HD25 already (for my taste!). Also i find the soundstage to be alot more enjoyable on the K81 and too closed feeling on the HD25-1. Also the HD25 has a problem with its highs being too harsh, less with an ofc cable but still enough to be annoying. Those are the 3 reasons i sold my HD25-1. For the price of the K81 its really a no-brainer.
The price of the HD25-1 is so high because its not aimed at the consumer market but intended for professional use where people are depending on their gear.

@jjcha: Thanks, if its indeed a little more spacious i might like it!
biggrin.gif
Ill definately try to find a pair 2nd hand the next time im in japan.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 14
As application-perfect as they are, I'm certainly ready for a break from the HD25-1. However so far nothing else on the market has been good enough in all attributes required of a portable full-size headphone.

But the K181 will finally be with me sometime next week. I might as well order the 81's too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back