what is the best CIEM money can buy?
Dec 11, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 45
That would depend on what sound you are looking for...

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 45
But how would it help you if you don't state your prefered sound sig? Unless you are just doing this for the heck of it. Then i could understand. I recently just bought the Frogbeats C4s and will be hearing from it in a couple months. Sorry that I cannot provide much help on that part.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 45
Its of course relative but the Spiral Ears 5-way reference is at least up there if you are looking for a LCD-2/3 kind of sound sig.

Heir Audio have the best looking customs though, and soundwise they are very capable of what I've heard.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 45
For me it's the Jh13 I ordered once their improved arangement appeared but I haven't heard everything. It seems most companies top of the line are 'bass enhanced' which is fine but not for me, at least to the extent supplied. I get it that you can have extra bass without compromising clarity when designed as well os some of these are but for me, once you get past a certain point, it detracts more than benefits. Others feel differently so opinions will as to same extent.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 45
UM Miracle and JH16 would be considered as some of the best.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Dec 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:
Its of course relative but the Spiral Ears 5-way reference is at least up there if you are looking for a LCD-2/3 kind of sound sig.

Heir Audio have the best looking customs though, and soundwise they are very capable of what I've heard.

Keep in mind the Spirals you can only get if you live in EU I believe or if you know someone over there (unless this has changed). Apparently they are a bit larger IEM than most so just check to be sure...Mind you I have family there and was looking at these but due to poor communication (and after 2 emails lack thereof) I looked elsewhere. But I digress....I have heard fantastic things about this IEM nevertheless. So might be worth a look.

Have a look at Tralucent Audio's 1Plus2: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623514/new-custom-iem-company-tralucent-audio  

Their second version might be up there with top ones. They are fantastic though - also this vastly depends on your preferences as well. Great bass extension and rich mids and sparkly highs. Nicely balanced.

Those Heir Audio designs look impeccable to the point where I am wondering if the Heir 8.A promo is still on???

EDIT: Seems it's been 2 weeks since O.P came on. Has he/she made up his/her mind already?

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 45
I will second this opinion about SE 5-way Reference. My recently acquired SE 5-way are certainly top of the line in terms of their technical abilities and my sonic preferences. In fact, having owned both 8.A and LCD2, while 8.A being generally good monitors, I find them somewhat unnatural and unbalanced when compared with the SE 5-way. 8.A can also have harsh and sibilant highs from time to time to my ears, when compared to smooth, very linear and much more extended 5-way's. Isolation is also much better, obviously.
If you're looking for an upgrade to LCD2/3 and overall reference sounding monitors, that would be 5-way's in my opinion. Perhaps there are some others worth looking into as well.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:
I will second this opinion about SE 5-way Reference. My recently acquired SE 5-way are certainly top of the line in terms of their technical abilities and my sonic preferences. In fact, having owned both 8.A and LCD2, while 8.A being generally good monitors, I find them somewhat unnatural and unbalanced when compared with the SE 5-way. 8.A can also have harsh and sibilant highs from time to time to my ears, when compared to smooth, very linear and much more extended 5-way's. Isolation is also much better, obviously.
If you're looking for an upgrade to LCD2/3 and overall reference sounding monitors, that would be 5-way's in my opinion. Perhaps there are some others worth looking into as well.

So is it still the same where it cannot ship outside EU to any other place except US? Btw I may have missed the obvious clue but why is isolation better with the SE-5 way? They are both based on impressions right? Does one stick out more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back