What is the benefit of high quality power cables?
Mar 19, 2006 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gsteinb88

500+ Head-Fier
Anyway, i was looking through some Hi-Fi catalogs that i picked up and was extremely puzzled by the power cables. They claim a number of things (what doesnt claim something in the audio world these days), but i cant understand how they would make a difference coming from the wall. Basically the way i see it is you have 3 feet of quality cable and then 30000 feet (or more) of lower quality power cable going from the wall to your power company.
Now, if it comes from a power conditioner that makes its own 60hz and such, i can see it making a little more sense, but still...
Anyone care to explain?
-g

Mar 19, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
Anyway, i was looking through some Hi-Fi catalogs that i picked up and was extremely puzzled by the power cables. They claim a number of things (what doesnt claim something in the audio world these days), but i cant understand how they would make a difference coming from the wall. Basically the way i see it is you have 3 feet of quality cable and then 30000 feet (or more) of lower quality power cable going from the wall to your power company.
Now, if it comes from a power conditioner that makes its own 60hz and such, i can see it making a little more sense, but still...
Anyone care to explain?
-g

This has been previously discussed on this forum many times. I think the latest count on the number of threads on this or related issues regarding power cords is 1,367. If you do a search, you'll find the information you request, as well as all the arguments on both sides, over and over and over again, ad nauseum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 17
the simple answer is it is the choke point between your house wiring and the actual power supply of the audio device and unlike an appliance or light bulb which is a steady state continous draw event music is a dynamic signal that has wide swings in demands from the softest passage to the loudest peak event and if the cable is not capable of delivering this current instantaneously with no time lag you have a distorted signal not true to the original on the disc
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
the simple answer is it is the choke point between your house wiring and the actual power supply of the audio device and unlike an appliance or light bulb which is a steady state continous draw event music is a dynamic signal that has wide swings in demands from the softest passage to the loudest peak event and if the cable is not capable of delivering this current instantaneously with no time lag you have a distorted signal not true to the original on the disc
tongue.gif

Nice
smily_headphones1.gif

My take on anything cable related, IC or AC, is to just try. Try and listen. For some setups, fancy wire will do nothing, for some it will be night and day. The good thing is that you do not have to understand it in order to appreciate it.

Edit: Great, now I cannot post anymore in order to not srew up the cool postcount
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
tongue.gif

Thanks for the answer. And i did search but, like Jeff said most of the threads detiorated into needless arguing. I just needed a strait answer. Now if only there was a way for me to close the thread before bickering starts...
-g
EDIT: I agree with you Oliver, but its easier to ask than to shell out a few hundred bucks for what may or may not be snake oil...

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 17
Can't get too technical on it but before last week i was a try and see what happens kind of thinking.Well i tried the Volex cords and they do make a very noticable difference.As some of have said here,they are at least or more so in the change they make to your music than an IC change.

Try out the inexpensive volex cable and i am confident you will be converted
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Try out the inexpensive volex cable and i am confident you will be converted
evil_smiley.gif

Hell you can get 5 of them for $25 from Carlton-Bates.com. If you don't like them, then oh well. You're out $25 but you've got some nice power cables for the microwave and your kids easy bake oven.

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 17
That's what i did.Sold 3 of them and am keeping two and letting them burn it get a feel on their potential.From what i hear they are a bargin for that price.

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 17
Let's consider for the moment, this carbon fiber dashboard on a Pontiac GTO.
It is lighter than traditional plastic, but costs much more.

gto_dash.jpg

The objectivists will say that testing the car on a dynomometer shows that the carbon fiber dashboard doesn't make the car more powerful or responsive than a car with plastic trim. They will challenge the subjectivists to a blind driving test (but not driving blind
smily_headphones1.gif
), judging between a car with plastic trim, and one with carbon fiber. When no one accepts, the objectivists say "Aha! Case closed."

The subjectivists will counter that the dyno tests don't show you enough information. A lighter car is inherently faster, and any weight savings will obviously result in performance gains. Sure it's a minor detail, but when you add up all the small gains from using carbon fiber everywhere in the car, it becomes a significant factor.

Is a $300 power cord better than a $15 one? The performance gains may not be proportional to the cost, and the difference might not be immediately apparent upon listening, but it's probably a worthwhile investment if you've put $20,000 in the rest of your system. Just remember, it's your ears and your money. Use them wisely.

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 17
GREAT POST! Dyno test to show if the car is faster? How bout a 1/4 mile run or a 0-60? And what about those heavy vinyl covered seats? The insulation on the door? :thumbs up:

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 17
I'll take all comers in my Geo Metro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back