What is the average, "standard" headphone?
Oct 12, 2010 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EYEdROP

500+ Head-Fier
Dosent even have to be high quality. Only the most average, run of the mill headphone out there applies. The two I see most is 1. Apple earbuds and 2. Sony MDR-V150. It seems like Koss was extremely common back in the day, not sure which models though. In studios, you always see MDR-V6 and MDR 7509. Can anyone else add? What is the most successful headphone, in terms of sales? Not including pre packaged phones?  

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Whatever was available as a Walmart special.

Before I had the cash for nice headphones, that's basically what I got, and I'm sure that the same is true for millions of others. Sony, Koss, Philips, and a bunch of other brands had products that fit into this category.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Koss SP/3 also caused a stir in the 1950's. It was the very first Koss "stereophone." 

Love this picture of the 414. No doubt this headphone has been extremely succesful and has been produced for many years.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 10
Run of the mill headphones, I would say anything that happens to be in a nearby store at a decent price. My old Sony MDR-XD200's are about as average in every way as you can get.

In terms of most successful. iBuds by a mile. Purely because they come included with the highest selling MP3 player.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Do you mean most common, or most typical? I'm going to bet that, for a couple decades now, people use whatever headphones come with the device they bought to use with headphones, and not many headphone users buy headphones specifically any more.

I remember when the small foam-cushioned headphones that came with the original Sony Walkman ended up being a ubiquitous design. Millions of those were sold, either because Walkman-style cassette players became ubiquitous and each had a pair of headphones packed in, or because the fact that they were lightweight, cheap, and many of them sounded okay made them popular in the aftermarket.

If you mean the most common single item sold now, it's easily whichever version of earbuds are packaged with Apple's portables this year. Note that Apple's earbuds have been redesigned a few times since the first iPod.

These days, first place for aftermarket phones are probably low-end IEMs (little better than earbuds with nozzles to fit in the canal, really), since those can be had for cheap in every department store, grocery and convenience store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back