1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What is soundstage?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by sneaglebob, Jan 13, 2012.
First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7
Next

Last
  1. joeyjojo
    Quote:

Zombie thread!

Soundstage only exists with headphones for binaurally recorded material. For stereo content mixed for loudspeakers I think people are usually talking about some kind of "fidelity", maybe instrument separation, etc.

2. money4me247 Contributor
    heh.... zombies are awesome.

my friend was talking to me about his akg k550 & saying how you can really tell where each sound is coming from and where it moves to. this is using flac files, not binaurally. so i was thinkin that has to be soundstage right?

3. ultrabike
    Seems so. However, going by my brief impressions of the AKG K550, I can't say it did sound localization very well. IME open headphones in general do a much better job in that regard. There are a few exceptions of course.

4. money4me247 Contributor
    Quote:
    oh ya? i was under the impression that the akg k550 were one of the exceptions of a closed headphone w/ good soundstage. what would you say are the exceptions?

5. ultrabike
  6. XxDobermanxX
    Try the sennheiser HD 800 and find out 
    and to find out what is not soundstage try the athm50 

7. bigshot

This

8. starstern
    what's the definition difference of bright sound stage versus deep sound stage ?
    does bright refer to more mid's more warmness ?
    does deep refer to a denser brightness so to say ??

9. bigshot
    Brightness refers to frequency response, not soundstage. Soundstage is either forward, meaning close miked... or recessed, meaning distant miked. Depth of soundstage is determined by the inclusion of room acoustics, usually distant miked.

A lot of people mix unrelated sound terms together in a mulligan stew because they think it makes them sound smart. If you learn the terms, it's easy to sort those horse's hindquarters out.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. SP Wild
    Ambience exists in bass tones, midrange tones and treble tones.

Inaccuracies in reproducing any of those ambience details lead to a subjective frequency response tilt, even when this response is measured flat.

In order to recreate an accurate 3rd dimension,  the audio signal needs to be accurate in the 4th dimension.

11. bigshot
    HA! Good one! Get your orders in for the fourth dimensional sound processor now!

12. jaddie
    Quote:
    Already done.  You probably own one.  Dimension #4 is time. (ok, technically it's "spacetime", but if you're out of space, and you got no time...well, that's just tough). So any processor that deals with time is playing in the 4th dimension.  

But what we really need is a processor that deals with another dimension.  A dimension not of sight or of sound, but of mind.  

13. bigshot
    Where is Rod Serling when you need him?!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. jaddie
    Oh, you KNOW where he is...

15. uchihaitachi
    Quote:
    Jaddie, except for speakers, so for IEMs and headphones, what do you believe are the determinants of 'soundstage'? Are you of the opinion that they are entirely constructs of the mind? If so would you say that the disparity in 'soundstage' among headphones and IEMs that people perceive are due to some head gear possessing different frequency responses that lead to different representation of the recordings which in turn may lead to perception of a lack of or a more of 'soundstage'? 

First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7
Next

Last