what is power conditioner used for??
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 18
"...the blacks were soooo much blacker!"
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Download a "silence track". Play it, do you hear anything? If no - a power conditioner will be a waste.

I agree with a few caveats.

Be sure to turn it up pretty loud. A lot of interference is fairly low level, so if it's only up to 10% volume, it may not be apparent.

Also, be sure to listen multiple times. Interference can vary a lot depending on time of day (people tend to use appliances the most in the early evening) and what is running in your house/apartment (ie, when someone is using a computer or when a refrigerator is kicking in).

Finally, I'd change your wording to "If no - a power conditioner will be much less necessary." I don't think a power conditioner is ever a complete waste unless you're running on a dedicated power supply.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 18
The other factor that everyone seems to overlook with power conditioners is the insurance factor. Most companies that produce power conditioners provide insurance for the equipment plugged into the power conditioner. Some advanced surge protectors do the same, but the dollar amount for which these companies are willing to cover is greater on power conditioners. Plug your gear into a power conditioner with a warranty. Lightning hits your house... IF your gear is messed up, you could go through the manufacturer of the power gear and not have to put in an insurance claim on your homeowners insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back