What is near perfect but won't break the bank?
Jun 30, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #31 of 63
To the OP, I think what you are looking are very un-colored cans.

As for that, that I know, you have in the IEM department the Etymotic ER4P/S with an excellent "flat" response, and the Phonak PFE that comes behind with a similar response.
On the Full Sized department you have the Beyerdynamic DT48E/A/S with an impressive "flat" response. The Fostex T50RP, studio headphones also have a nice "flat response", and at a very good price.

From all of them I have heard the Phonak PFE and the Fostex T50RP. The Beyerdynamic DT48 I have not heard nor the Etymotic. The latter cost quite some money (new), but they have excellent response curves.

There are also some HPs you can find like the AKG K501, or AKG K240DF that some people claim have very flat responses.

I am speaking from both what I have tried and what i have read. From all the Headphones mentioned the ones I have not seen the frequency response graph are the K501 and K240DF, hence I can't tell if they are "flat".

I am speaking of "flat" due to the lack of knowledge on what equipment they used to measure them, how they did so, ... However due to my listening experience with the PFE and T50RP I find valid the relation they have with the frequency graph -for my own, you can think differently-.

I also think those prices -if you use them for a long time- won't brake your bank, but will be more like an investment. I might have forgotten about any of the "uncolored and not pricey" cans, but so far you have some cans to search for.

Jun 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 63
If you like the shure 530s, you might want to wait for shure's full-size studio headphones to be released before making a decision. They all should be sub $200 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/lea...srh840-420561/

According to Jude, "The SRH840 actually reminds me of the SHURE's own SE530 in-ear monitor, but with sparklier treble--fuller than neutral, but still with excellent detail. It's also like the SE530 in that it has very good passive isolation, blocking out the world very well, and just about completely so when any music is playing."

I think there are a few more impressions in the can jam thread as well. But, since your willing to go to $300 and open-backed this might not be a very good suggestion. Just looking to make a suggestion that's not your usual suspect. I'm watching these headphones closely myself. My only concerns with them right now are their bulkiness, weight and cumbersome cable.

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #33 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to throw in another vote for the K601. I think it shares many of the virtues of the K701 but is a more versatile, a little less overtly bass-light, and a little more forgiving.

This thread is turning into a little bit of a 601 appreciation society, but I want to reiterate that you cant throw any $50-100 portable amp at these cans and expect them to shine. Many of the Head-Fiers with *01 AKGs have the amps needed to drive them, but we need to be cautious when recommending them to others. I dont even bother with anything less than my Cambridge integrated amp for the 601s - they need serious juice under them.

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #34 of 63
Grado 325i, Sennheiser HD600, and AKG K501.

Best values in this hobby bar none imho. Pick one according to your taste.

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #35 of 63
Great information in this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #36 of 63
I vote for the K702's. I picked mine up for $200 used, they are the most neutral sounding cans I have heard. I owned the HD650's prior to these and the K702's are a more analytical neutral sounding headphone.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsf2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll look into the headphones suggested. Can someone comment on this? How different are the SR60, SR80, and SR325? Is it something where I'd have to listen attentively to a music clip multiple times before I hear a difference?

I compared the iGrado (which has SR60 drivers, but apparently sounds a little different), SR80, and SR325i recently. The differences between iGrado and 80 are subtle, and I tend to think that MS-1 is a better upgrade from SR60. That said, if you don't have either pair, I'd skip SR60 and go straight for MS-1.

Now, SR325i. This is clearly a step up from SR80 and MS-1. It's clearer, more detailed, has wider soundstage and – most significantly – finally, satisfying bass from a Grado headphone. Lots of people claim that SR225 is better bang for the buck, but I'm extremely pleased with SR325i. My ESW9 notwithstanding, I think these are my favourite cans. And they're not even my most expensive.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado 325i, Sennheiser HD600, and AKG K501.

Best values in this hobby bar none imho. Pick one according to your taste.

And this is why I'm trying to pick up an HD600. I wasn't impressed the first time I heard them, and this was via an amp through which K701 blew me away. But it's time to give them another chance, I think.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #40 of 63
Sub $300 is sub the point of diminishing returns IMO, especially without a good source and headphone amp. That's a dose of good news and bad news. The bad first: you won't get to that point on your graph you're looking for just quite yet. But the good news is that you can buy and trade quite a bit and get close, once you narrow down what you're looking for.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #41 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsf2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've looked into this model, and people seem to criticize it as bass thin. But what I can't figure out is if that's "bass thin" in audiophile world or in general. I consider the ER6i bass thin.

I'll look into the AD700's too. Honestly, I've never heard of it.

And thx to everyone for responding. It really helps.

I can not say I have tried every phone on the market but I can say that of all the phones I have tried I like the AD700 the best. They work well with a nicer setup and they work well with my Ipod Touch 2G by itself. I am sure that more expensive phones and amp combinations sound better but bang for your buck I do think these are the best dollar for sound quality headphones available if you like a wide variety of music and want something that can play them all. The only music types I could see these not standing up to well would be extremely bass dependant songs like hiphop otherwise I find the bass resonant and precise when it is supposed to be there. By the way I almost did not buy these phones because of the anti-bass hype, am I ever glad I changed my mind.

One more thing, I don't listen to a ton of classic but I do listen to classic music and I find the sound stage and the detail of these phones amazing and very life like especially compared to the usual retail phones on the market.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #42 of 63
In that price range, I would look into HD580/600 or K601 or DT880. I really love AD700/900 but I don't think they will be good for everyone. However, in my opinion, none of these headphones will give sound close to live music.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #44 of 63
Sennheiser HD600 or AKG K601.

If you'd like a little warmer sound with a little more bass, the HD650. You might have to buy these used, though.

If you'd like a little cleaner, leaner sound, the K701 or K702.

If you want a closed can with good isolation from outside events, the DT770 in one of its many iterations.

Please quit once you get any of these cans, or else you will be here forever and you will spend all your money and then some.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #45 of 63
A used Stax 2020 / 2050 set (usually below $300, includes amp) is superb.
Edit: after listening to such a set, the Grado amp can be sold for better source
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back