What is it that is uncomfortable about grados?
Nov 14, 2008 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

thoughtcriminal

100+ Head-Fier
I'd better run far from this forum and fast. Already, I'm getting the bug. From the suggestions here, I really want a pair of JVC HA RX700 and an amp and a new DAP. On top of the headphones I just bought.

And I'd really like a pair of grado sr60, but its the comfort factor that holds me back.
What do head-fiers find uncomfortable about them? Is it that they clamp on your head? Are the pads scratchy? Is it that the highs fatigue your ears? Or maybe just the fact that they are supra-aural?

I ask because personally, I don't mind a strong clamping force on my noggin, nor do I mind headphones resting on my ears rather than around.

So if i could get some details on comfort, my wallet may become that much thinner

TC

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 34
Just wash the bowls with soap and water a few times and the itchiness goes away. If you don't like the bowls, try the flats or inverted HD-414 pads.

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the drivers touching your ears.

same here!

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 34
The sentence structure of the topic title hurts my eyes.
frown.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sentence structure of the topic title hurts my eyes.
frown.gif

You a grammar nazi is!

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 34
I don't find the bowls on my sr-80 to be itchy. However, the drivers touching my ears can get pretty uncomfortable after an hour or so. I'm planning to get the flat pads for them for more comfort, as well as hopefully taming the treble, which does get fatiguing.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 34
the complaining about grammar hurts my eyes.
frown.gif

the simple fact that the pads sit on your ears is irritating as hell for me. clamping is not a problem on grado's but on other fones it's also annoying, like the clamping force of hd600 for example even though the pads are nice.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find the bowls on my sr-80 to be itchy. However, the drivers touching my ears can get pretty uncomfortable after an hour or so. I'm planning to get the flat pads for them for more comfort, as well as hopefully taming the treble, which does get fatiguing.

Good luck with the flats, but even with the flats my ears still touch the drivers. I will get the soft pads next, if that does not help I will do the remove-the-driver-for-more-comfort mod
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 34
This whole "Grado's are uncomfortable" thing is overrated in my opinion. First of all, YMMV. Any one individual's complaint is based on his own experience. When I first got my SR-60's, and purchased bowls for them, I found that my ears sat inside the bowls, touching the drivers. As others have said, a bit uncomfortable. So...I reversed the bowls and...voila! Problem solved. The sound was every bit as good as it was previously (and much better than the stock comfies) and, because my ears then sat a bit farther away from the drivers, I think the soundstage might have improved a bit, although that could easily be placebo. Also, there are other mods you can try, such as the Senn pads, TTVJ flats, etc., until you find what suits your fancy. To give up the sound (once you hear Grado's you'll know what I mean) because of anticipated discomfort that you can easily work around is doing yourself a real disservice and depriving yourself of, and I don't think I'm overstating this, one of life's real treats!

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 34
Shoreman: I find the Grado's unconfortable, but still OK, whereas I found the clamping force of the Sennheiser HD280 and Ultrasone's so unconfortable that I had to sell them. I like good music (as we all do) but if the cans aren't comfy I am not able to enjoy and to concentrate on the music.

But that is the good thing about Grado's, you can try different pads and there are so many mods out there that can easily be done and reversed...
To the OP: Give Grado's a try and if you find them uncomfy wash the pads or get different pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back