What IS head-fi?
Mar 17, 2006 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

slag

100+ Head-Fier
I'm quickly growing very upset, and I'm not sure exactly why. As the majority of you probably know, there were several threads that were recently shut down due to a lack of prior communication with Jude clarifying the permissive use of the "head-fi" name.

This is a perfectly reasonable response from Jude if he owns head-fi.org

Because I'm fairly new here, I could use some clarification. What is head-fi.org? Does Jude own us? I for one am only interested in head-fi because of the incredible community here - the name "Head-fi" means nothing to me, it just represents the community. Does Jude own or presume to own the community by owning the services and the name that holds the community together? Something seems wrong here. Maybe it's just me.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 30
he does own head-fi. This is a private community he started. Hell, for years he paid thousands out of his own pocked to keep this place afloat. So yes, we need to ask him to use the head-fi and other related names, since they're his. Kramer had a good idea, and jude is thinking bout it. Yo.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 30
Yes Jude pwns us.

Biggie.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 30
So... you're saying that you are quickly growing upset because Jude has lost tons of money on this site keeping up server costs and the like for the first few years and may still be losing a lot of money just to hold it together? Because to be honest, most members of head-fi aren't paying for it. Sure there are people who buy from sponsers, who contribute money to head-fi. Of course being that all the sponsers are businesses, you can be sure they don't contribute more than is needed (I mean no offense to the sponsers, but it would be rather foolish from a business standpoint to lose money as one).

I'm sure the banner ads and contributors add some too... but at the end of the day it is Jude who has to pay up to keep this site alive.

When you ask "What is Head-fi," that is not an easy question to answer. Obviously Jude doesn't own us. That would be impossible. He does however own this site, as he pays for it. Therefore any he owns the site and the Head-fi name.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 30
Thank you for the response. I guess I can see how Head-fi could be owned. Whether or not I think that is right is a personal issue and I'm only likely to be banned if I express my malcontent here.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by slag
Thank you for the response. I guess I can see how Head-fi could be owned. Whether or not I think that is right is a personal issue and I'm only likely to be banned if I express my malcontent here.

Honestly, I can't see how this bothers you that much. If you got beef, go start your own forum, pouring your blood, sweat, and tears into it. Then years later, wait for some random member who rarely participates to complain why you have the right to "own" that forum and the related names/symbols. . .. that you originally thought up. Homes.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 30
Let's say that I started a headphone forum called Head-Fi.com. Undoubtedly, many people trying to find head-fi.org would inadvertently navigate to my site instead. I would benefit from use of a name that is confusingly similar to the trademark that Jude has spent several years, and much time and effort to establish. Would that be "right"?

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Honestly, I can't see how this bothers you that much. If you got beef, go start your own forum, pouring your blood, sweat, and tears into it. Then years later, wait for some random member who rarely participates to complain why you have the right to "own" the forum as well as the related names and symbols you originally thought up. Yo.

Yeah, seriously... I don't get what your beef is man. It's like having a party at your house. Just because everyone comes over doesn't make everything there community property. It's your stuff, and you have the right to tell people how your stuff can be used, how they should act, and when they should leave.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 30
WAAH the almighty SPEAKS. Hey Jude, Head-fi IS an amazing community, thanks for bringing it to us!

Thanks again,
Shane
(soon to contribute, once wallet recovers a bit)

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Yeah, seriously... I don't get what your beef is man. It's like having a party at your house. Just because everyone comes over doesn't make everything there community property. It's your stuff, and you have the right to tell people how your stuff can be used, how they should act, and when they should leave.

That's a great analogy.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
While I respect your opinion, slag, I do think that you'd see things differently if you'd been in my shoes, with regard to this site, for the last five years (almost five years anyway).

When is the big five anyways? I'm guessing sometime in June, but does anyone know the exact day?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994

Seconded, great analogy. So easy to understand.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 30
Thanks for responding, Jude - and thanks for respecting. Please feel free to delete this thread at will, no hard feelings - I realize that I was a bit brash, and this is not really a simple issue by any means.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by slag

I am not sure how you could think that is wrong for head-fi to be owned. But for Jude, you wouldn't be able to hold this conversation here. No need to express malcontent here. If you aren't happy here, you have options. I've been a member for over 2 years. I've made some great friends from this place. People I get together with on a regular basis. So for me the fact there may be rules I don't like or agree with (not really but I am trying to make a point) it's no different then society in general. Give the place a chance and perhaps your opinions might change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back