What is EQ attenuation setting ?
Apr 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JohnSantana

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

When I update my iphone with DENON audio app, there is additional setting of EQ attenuation and the value is  set at -1.5 dB ?

I wonder what does Attenuation is for in the Equalizer ?

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Sounds like another word for a preamp to me.
Basically, boosting any frequency can potentially cause clipping, so to prevent that you reduce the volume of the entire spectrum, then boost that frequency.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Sounds like another word for a preamp to me.
Basically, boosting any frequency can potentially cause clipping, so to prevent that you reduce the volume of the entire spectrum, then boost that frequency.

Ah, do you mean to reduce the potential clicking or distorted noise when using the GEQ ?

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 4
Yes, if you're talking about those sounds resulting from clipping.

Pretty much, if you are using EQ to boost some frequencies, with certain inputs, the boost will cause the audio sample values to exceed the limit of what can be represented. Actually, rather than it exceeding the limit, what actually happens is that the values are hard limited to the max value, thus clipping off the peaks (which causes distortion).

So lowering the volume prior to applying an EQ can prevent such clipping, as you're reducing the level of everything including samples which may have otherwise been clipped. The drawback is having lower volume. The more you're boosting with EQ, the more you need to compensate to avoid potential clipping.

Unless we're mistaken about their terminology, that's what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back