Jun 10, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 13
must have

1. good isolation
2. not leak
3. warm emotional sound
4. not too overcooked bass or treble
5. good with vocals
6.dynamic driver

Moondrop Starfield. The only issue with your list - they are vented, which means they leak a little bit. Really only a little bit, only can be heard at night in absolute silence if you are very close (1-2 feet) to them... Everything else: match

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Also look into the iBasso IT00. Audio123 compared with the Starfield... " The IT00 is less warm with quicker bass decay, clearer midrange and crispier treble. IT00 is much better."

Seems to have 1,2,4,5,and 6 covered. You could private message or @audio123 for details on the warmth and emotion and isolation etc.

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 13
must have

1. good isolation
2. not leak
3. warm emotional sound
5. good with vocals
6.dynamic driver

ThieAudio Legacy 3
1. With foam tips and relatively deep insertion, it approaches the isolation level of a CIEM. I already successfully used them as a stage monitor, with foam tips, while drumming in a fully enclosed cage (VERY loud).
2. Minimal leak from the vents (barely audible with ear against the vent).
3. Not very warm, but is warm enough to be relaxing, while not being bloated sounding at all.
4. Bass level is excellent. Fun, detailed, well textured, but not overbearing or muddy at all. Clear treble, with good air, but not bright sounding. No sibilance.
5. Not “singer right in your ear“ intimate, but very clear, smooth, “romantic” sounding vocals. Both male and female vocals sound equally good IMO.
6. Has a dynamic driver + 2 BAs. Timbre is not as pure as a single DD, but is still very good, and not metallic or artificial sounding.

Not trying to hype anything, just a very pleased customer.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 13
must have

1. good isolation
2. not leak
3. warm emotional sound
5. good with vocals
6.dynamic driver

The Etymōtic ER3SE. I have and like the SE-215. The ER3SE (Studio Edition) this IEM, I think sounds better than the 215. These Ety’s have what I call the English Sound. I define this as being able to hear the interior of a sound stage, all of the details of the instruments in an orchestral setting the brass, woodwinds, etc. The bass on the SE accurately delivered it is there when it is there. The upper registers are treated in the same way. Plus you the details in between. The isolation is very good when these Ety’s are inserted the world goes away. There is no leakage.

Dynamic Driver; The Etymōtic uses a balanced armature driver.

The ER Etymōtic's have replaceable MMCX cables.

The Bottom line is I like both the Shure SE-215’s, and the Etymōtic SR3SE’s. The Ety’s have an edge as I think they're more comfortable and have a more accurate sound. They do have a roughly 48 hour break in period. At first they can sound a little harsh that smooths away with use. New users can have comfort issues at first with the 3 flang Silicone sleeves. If so switch to the expandable foam sleeves.

The ER4 line are made in the USA, have matched drivers, and a balanced feed cable. This cable can be installed on the ER3.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 13
What about the Etymotic ER-2XR?
Very "neutral" sounding DD iem with great seal and isolation.

It's worth a look, i think. :)

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 13
Another great iem i'd recommend is the Pioneer SE-CH9T, which i do own.

Yes, they're vented and leak a little bit.
But man, they've the best mids you can find within the 150€ price range, i'd say.
Nothing comes short in their overall sound presentation.
Love them for my whole music collection.
From Amaranthe over Foy Vance to Krewella, all sounds just right.
If you like this sound signature it'll be hard to find a real competitor up to 5 times their price bracket, imo.

The only reason i'm eyeing to the Etymotics is the better seal and isolation i need for cycling on rough trails. :ksc75smile:

Did i've said that i'm not a ba guy? :sunglasses:

Have fun listening, whatever y'all up to.
BR
Chris

Jun 13, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 13
This, someone who actually read the original posters requirement for a dynamic. Although I myself would buy the Starfield and save the £80 over the ER2XR.
I did read the original, and I own both the SE-215 and the Etymōtic SR3SE. Both are about the same price here in the States if purchased through Amazon. Bigjim you get what you pay for. If you would have read my posting I acknowledge the Dynamic driver requirement. I have owned a bunch of earphones with Dynamic drivers, costing between $200 to $300 Dollars. I have had 5 sets of Etymōtic's over the years. I find the balanced armature driver superior.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back