what is an ssd
Sep 15, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 17
Unless he was thinking of SS amps, which are solid state amps.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 17
Or it could be single sided deafness.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504731/hifi-headphone-for-people-with-ssd

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 17
SSDs will speed up most Core 2 Duo or better notebook/PCs (with 4GB or more of RAM) more so than a CPU upgrade. 

The best SSDs are Sandforce based SSDs (with latest firmware) and Intel SSDs. 

My first SSD cost me about USD$800 for an Intel 80gb X25M G1 a long time ago. I have not moved back to normal hard disk drives since. Highly recommended upgrade for ANY PC or notebook. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Quote:
ssd's are made of win

Right on! Less heat, less energy consumption, and most importantly it's noiseless! How long do I have to wait till prices come down?

Price's are going to come down again this year as 25nm flash memory is being produced.  Tech sites are expecting the price to reach around $1.50-$1.60 per/gb sometime this year, and that is when I will most definitely be going with SSD's.  

Make 100% sure you research before you buy an SSD, or you may get worse performance than your old hard drive.  Sites like anandtech do a very good job of explaining which SSD's are actually decent, so be sure to read up on them.  

Many tech sites proclaim that an SSD is the single greatest improvement in performance you can give your computer in terms of making everything happen instantly in windows.  

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 17
Solid State Drive   idk what that has to do with cans, but these things are the future of hard drive memory.  Normal hard drives use mechanical parts, as where SSDs are purely electrical.  They look like a metal slab.  They are much faster than normal hard drives, but INSANELY expensive.

My old computer had a 2TB hard drive and cost me $160.

My laptop has a 256gb SSD and it cost me $450

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 17
In a nutshell, solid state drives are hard drives without moving parts.  They're super-fast and you stick your OS and frequently-used programs on em for near-instantaneous load times.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 17
I have one as the C drive in my Puget Systems desktop, and I feel like I could never go back to a regular one. The "whirrrr" is gone, and so is a lot of fan noise and heat.
I have an external one too, and it's the same advantage. Get them if you can by any means afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back