What is a good relatively cheap subwoofer?
Oct 25, 2008 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dominator

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm trying to give my speaker system a bit more oomph, right now I just have a left and right channel speaker, I think I need a subwoofer to complete it.

To give you a frame of reference my speaker system is wall standing Mission speakers (forget exact model), so they aren't all that good compared to what some of you have I'm sure, so I don't need an amazing expensive subwoofer or anything, just looking for something that is decent prices, sounds pretty good and pretty loud. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 11
Before I'd suggest anything, I'd like to know what you want to use it for. For example, a sub that's good for movies may not be best for music and vice-versa.

Also, do you have space constraints?

How low do you want it to go? Kind of ties in with music vs. movies.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm planning to use it mainly for music. To be honest, I don't really know all that much about the various frequency cutoff points for subs, so I couldn't really say how low I want it to go. What's the norm?

I don't have space constraints, within reason, anyway. As long as its not exorbitantly large I'm ok.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 11
Richter Thor Series is surprisingly musical (for the price), price seems to depend where you live. Not sure of the current modles, but Velodyne have had some impressive subs at good prices. Like most audio gear, second hand is the place to find a bargain.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dominator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning to use it mainly for music. To be honest, I don't really know all that much about the various frequency cutoff points for subs, so I couldn't really say how low I want it to go. What's the norm?

I don't have space constraints, within reason, anyway. As long as its not exorbitantly large I'm ok.

The norm for a ported sub is usually 20hz-30hz, while a sealed is 40hz. They usually need to be larger to hit the 20hz mark, around 3' high and 2' in diameter for a ported one.

Ported subs can suffer from some issues though. For example, if it rolls off at 25hz and you try to play 20hz it will cause distortion and a "boomy" sound. Sealed doesn't suffer from this at all, and is usually preferred for music. However, sealed doesn't go as load as ported either.

We really need a price range to know what to suggest. Still, subs are really expensive unless you DIY. That's what I did for my Dayton Reference, it hasn't let me down yet
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 11
Check out the line up by BIC. I have a 12 inch forward firing powered sub (250 watts, I think), that is quite musical and great for home theatre. Finish is black laquer. Very chic. Didn't pay all that much (200 or 250). For this price, it is a steal--not one notey like some cheap subs.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 11
I'll second the Velodyne. I have one myself and it sounds great with music, I rarely even play movies on it.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 11
The Martin Logan Dynamo is a quite musical sub that won't break the bank. I particularly like how it can be configured as forward firing or down firing. My room at home and my room at school have quite different acoustic characteristics, so I find this flexibility very useful when I'm using the sub in the two locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back