What is a good noise isolating Equivalent to the Sr60i?
Jun 16, 2014 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

meesterkitty

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a good introductory audiophile headphone for a hundred dollars or less. The SR60i's and the SR80i's immediately came up to be the best options for that price range; they are said to be unbeatable for the price. There were other headphones thrown in like the MS1's, but mainly it was the Grados. I would love to get the Grados, except I would prefer them to be noise canceling. I will be mainly listening at home, but I do travel sometimes, and I would like my headphones to be usable wherever I am. I'm questioning whether the noise isolation will really be an issue, because I don't really travel too often; it would just be nice to be able to use them on the occasion that I do, or am in a situation where noise cancellation is preferred. Are there any equivalent closed headphones for 100 and under? I listen to a decent variety of music. I like lot of older artists, like Elton John, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, and the Beatles of course. I also like some Rock, like Led Zeppelin, Green Day, stuff like that. Jazz is great to me, or just Jazzy tunes, like 'Forget You', or 'Play That Funky Music' I also listen to some acoustical guitar artists like Jason Mraz. What would be my best choice of a headphone for that variety of music? Should I be worried about open ear headphones, and if I should, what's a good closed ear alternative? 
Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate any advice I can get.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 10
  I've been looking for a good introductory audiophile headphone for a hundred dollars or less. The SR60i's and the SR80i's immediately came up to be the best options for that price range; they are said to be unbeatable for the price. There were other headphones thrown in like the MS1's, but mainly it was the Grados. I would love to get the Grados, except I would prefer them to be noise canceling. I will be mainly listening at home, but I do travel sometimes, and I would like my headphones to be usable wherever I am. I'm questioning whether the noise isolation will really be an issue, because I don't really travel too often; it would just be nice to be able to use them on the occasion that I do, or am in a situation where noise cancellation is preferred. Are there any equivalent closed headphones for 100 and under? I listen to a decent variety of music. I like lot of older artists, like Elton John, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, and the Beatles of course. I also like some Rock, like Led Zeppelin, Green Day, stuff like that. Jazz is great to me, or just Jazzy tunes, like 'Forget You', or 'Play That Funky Music' I also listen to some acoustical guitar artists like Jason Mraz. What would be my best choice of a headphone for that variety of music? Should I be worried about open ear headphones, and if I should, what's a good closed ear alternative? 
Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate any advice I can get.

Unfortunately I don't think any closed / isolating headphone is going to give you the Grado sound, as their very open design is a big part of the reason they sound they way they do.

The closest I've found is the Sennheiser Hd25-ii  (or the Amperior). It has a clear, fast agressive sound with a punchy bass. The bass is a little more exagerated (and less tight) than the Grados, but it's not a boomy mess like a lot of closed headphones.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 10
OK, thank you guys for the help. I had a bit of a misleading question... I'm just looking for a closed pair of headphones for about $100 that have sound quality that is at par with the grados. I don't necessarily need the same sound signature. What do you guys think are the best sounding headphones for that price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back