What is a clear Senn HD650
Jan 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ematthews

100+ Head-Fier
OK. So it looks like my try at the AKG Q701 is not going to work. Not enough low end and the highs can be a touch harsh at times. I still have the Senn HD650 after testing them against the BT880 and the AKG. Looking for the Senn HD650 but with a more clear sound. More 3d sound or instrument separation. The Senn's are a little foggy to me. Sorry I can't really explain it correctly. Maybe this would better describe the sound. Take the HD650 and turn down the mids and raise the treble a touch.
Does this explain any type of headphone out there? Help if you can.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 19
HD600? I thought they would have the same sound. At least that was my take on them under the 50 headphone reviews. If that's the case this is an easy find since I like the fit of the Senn's better than the rest.
 Thanks

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 19
I don't know, it really depends on the person.  On head-fi, there's a good number of people who have love the HD600 and hate HD650 or the opposite.

I've heard both and I like the 650 better and think the 600's upper midrange is too forward, but others might take that as more clarity.  I personally already found the 650 very clear myself.

Another question is what is your source for the 650?  The amp and dac?

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
OK. So it looks like my try at the AKG Q701 is not going to work. Not enough low end and the highs can be a touch harsh at times. I still have the Senn HD650 after testing them against the BT880 and the AKG. Looking for the Senn HD650 but with a more clear sound. More 3d sound or instrument separation. The Senn's are a little foggy to me. Sorry I can't really explain it correctly. Maybe this would better describe the sound. Take the HD650 and turn down the mids and raise the treble a touch.

Grado RS-1/HF-1 fit the sound signature but they have less spatial detail than the Senns imo.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
I don't know, it really depends on the person.  On head-fi, there's a good number of people who have love the HD600 and hate HD650 or the opposite.

I've heard both and I like the 650 better and think the 600's upper midrange is too forward, but others might take that as more clarity.  I personally already found the 650 very clear myself.

Another question is what is your source for the 650?  The amp and dac?

I have my Bellari HA540 hooked up to my Emotiva USP-1 preamp on the tape out loop. So the Emo is my DAC.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 19
Can anyone clarify what an upper mid range is? I see a lot of reviews that say this is forward sounding. To me that would mean if you have a tri control tone adjustments or EQ, that would be putting the mids set to a positive or plus 3/6..

In any case, what my original post would relate to  turning the bass EQ up as well as the treble a bit. Then turning down the mid range.. That has always been my settings on systems that have settings.   A big V sound on the scale of things.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Clearer HD650? Properly amped one out of a good source, unless you are after different signature altogether.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 19
I think I have good equipment. All my gear is Emotiva. The headphone amp is pluged into the tape out of my Emotiva UPS pre amp. Headphone amp is Bellari HA540

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
I think I have good equipment. All my gear is Emotiva. The headphone amp is pluged into the tape out of my Emotiva UPS pre amp. Headphone amp is Bellari HA540.

I do not know if you tried this yet, but the stock Ruby tube in the HA540 makes everything sound muddy, Have you tried tube rolling at all?

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
I do not know if you tried this yet, but the stock Ruby tube in the HA540 makes everything sound muddy, Have you tried tube rolling at all?

Sorry. I am new to tube amps. What does tube rolling mean?

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back