What in the world makes me keep coming back to sennheiser
Mar 23, 2006 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
I swore to myself that I was NOT going to succumb to the sennheiser headphone god on my portable rig; yep, I was looking for a "fun" sound. The KSC-75's were all that I needed, right?

As I sit here with a pair of newly purchased px100's on my new portable rig, I cannot help but question why on earth I keep on going back to the dark side i.e. sennheiser
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ever since I heard the hd580's at a store, I knew I was stuck. When the HD600's came in and I listened to them on my home rig, my jaw dropped. When the HD650's came in, it dropped even more.

However, the problem I have with the HD series (or perhaps with headphones in general) is that they have a tendency after a while to bring me into wanting something "different" or something "better". I'll read a couple of posts on head-fi and someone will comment on how they sound veiled, horrible, muddy, boring, etc etc. None of these traits come out at me, but there's always something inside me that makes me wonder what this "fun, bright" sound really is.

So I'll go on a buying/selling splurge, selling my senns in order to listen to this thing that's something better. First came the k601's and the sr-60's; I thought "ok, I have defeated the dark side, this is MY sound, it's awesome and better!".

Next week, the k601's were sent packing and the HD600's arrived at my doorstep once more.

Having the itch to try something different once again, I went for the DT880's. When these arrived, it was obvious that these were better than the HD600's. "I am officially a member of the light side, this is it" I thought.

Then I got the HD650's... and, well, it's amazing, and continues to be amazing even after my honeymoon period with them.

So my question to you is, what makes me come back to sennheiser headphones? Aren't these the muddy, veiled, boring, bassy, horrible headphones that so many people trash on these forums?
wink.gif
Lately with all the criticism sennheiser headphones get on these forums, its as if they are somehow the headphone equivilent of bose in the audiophile community.

I've fought against the dark side for so long, but now, I think I have finally accepted my fate and succumbed
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 8
Ha! I'm having the same tribulations as you. Several times, I've sold off Senn headphones, wanting to switch to some other sound...but every time, they keep calling me back. I got rid of the HD600 most recently, but I'm already saving for the HD650.
very_evil_smiley.gif
They have a sound signature that sounds just right to me - warm, smooth, refined. It probably helps that I was imprinted on most of my music with Sennheisers.

Mar 23, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Ha! I'm having the same tribulations as you. Several times, I've sold off Senn headphones, wanting to switch to some other sound...but every time, they keep calling me back. I got rid of the HD600 most recently, but I'm already saving for the HD650.
very_evil_smiley.gif
They have a sound signature that sounds just right to me - warm, smooth, refined. It probably helps that I was imprinted on most of my music with Sennheisers.

Oh boy, you're in for a treat, let me tell you
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Well it's obvious that you all enjoy that muddy, dark, veiled noise. I say embrace you tone deafness and go with the molass flow
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
Hehe

I don't think that the Senns are particularly vilified or equated to Bose on these forums. Yes here are a few of us that don't really like the Senn sound but that's not to say they are bad or evil (well, not *really* evil) just a personal preference. For every Senn dissenter there are probably two fans so enjoy. Wallow in your bliss and have fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 8
senns rock! never again will i be so foolish to sell them...forgive me!

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, to my ear, the Senns get it "right." There's really nothing in their sound that sticks out one way or another, or something that really irritates you and makes you long for something else. Yes, not everyone is a fan of their tonal balance, but tonal balance is a very subjective thing, and besides, you can change it, to some extent, with different associated gear.

I keep thinking that Senns are boring, go listen to something else, only to become irritated by whatever that something else does wrong. Then I come back to the Senns and think "Ahh... all's right with the world...
tongue.gif
"

I still think that the HD600 had it right all along. It's my personal reference. If only it had a bit more detail! I think I need a balanced amp...

(Wallet says: Danger, Will Robinson!!! Danger!!!)

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Well, to my ear, the Senns get it "right." There's really nothing in their sound that sticks out one way or another, or something that really irritates you and makes you long for something else. Yes, not everyone is a fan of their tonal balance, but tonal balance is a very subjective thing, and besides, you can change it, to some extent, with different associated gear.

I keep thinking that Senns are boring, go listen to something else, only to become irritated by whatever that something else does wrong. Then I come back to the Senns and think "Ahh... all's right with the world...
tongue.gif
"

I still think that the HD600 had it right all along. It's my personal reference. If only it had a bit more detail! I think I need a balanced amp...

(Wallet says: Danger, Will Robinson!!! Danger!!!)

*shrug* I REALLY like what the HD650's did to the frequency range, but maybe i'm the only one on this one. My ONLY two qualms about the HD600's were poor subbass extention/quality and a slightly withdrawn midrange; The 650's fixed both of these.

There definately is something addictive about the senn sound that makes them such AWESOME long term headphones. Grados are great and impressive in bursts, but once I get use to the sound change, I always crave the senns.

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 8
I find that I can aclimate to just about any headphone. Depending on my amp, OPamp, source, cable and source material I can get my HD580 to sound almost as aggressive as my MS2.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back