What in the hell? HTC U11 pocketnow audio review
Jun 4, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Where do you think the DAC is?

is that a sarcastic question? the DAC is in the phone....

Ordinarily, that is the case, but with these 'me-toos' following Apple, monkey-see;monkey-do fashion, they've ommitted the traditional analogue 3.5mm headphone jack, instead favouring a USB solution (the video even says it's proprietary, so the customer will probably get screwed, even further. Just look at the recent debacle with the latest releases of iOS (and many betas beforehand) breaking lightning CCK digital-audio-out functionality - it's still unclear whether this is a deliberate move by Apple, or an innocent oversight, but, as one of the wealthiest companies in the world, with massive resources, I am disinclined to give them the benefit of the doubt, on this matter).

It's very unlikely HTC have somehow managed to squeeze analogue out of a USB socket (LOL), so yes, the conversion to analogue will very, very probably be done by a dongle in between the phones USB output socket and the ear phone drivers.

Personally, I wouldn't walk away from this thing; I'd run, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 11
USB C has default analog pins out, not like Lightning, it can also do digital out on different pins

Interesting!

Thankyou for educating me on that - as they say on Southpark, "I learned something today!"
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

However, I still wouldn't touch this abomination with a bargepole
wink_Emoticon.gif

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 11
Interesting!

Thankyou for educating me on that - as they say on Southpark, "I learned something today!"

However, I still wouldn't touch this abomination with a bargepole

Me neither, why would I want to use special sockets for analog connection that can only fit a selected few ? Even if it had DAC, why would I want it when any built in or external DAC can do a better job. This trend is yet another failed marketing.....

I am sticking to HTC 10 until 3.5mm is back

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm assuming this phone might not have a built in dac amp.

I'm reading around and the included USB C earphones has a dongle with dac built-in.

For those with audeze sine might be lucky enough for audeze to make a usb c version of their's. But depending on how popular htc u11 becomes.

I still prefer 3.5mm. :p
Plus not being able to listen to music while using a portable battery to charge HTC U11.

I would definitely have kept HTC 10 over this.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Me neither, why would I want to use special sockets for analog connection that can only fit a selected few ? Even if it had DAC, why would I want it when any built in or external DAC can do a better job. This trend is yet another failed marketing.....

I am sticking to HTC 10 until 3.5mm is back
Btw you'd have to downgrade your $1000+ audiophile IEM to listen to 1 pair of crappy iems. They're kidding right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back