What IEMs Do You Wear In The Gym?
Jan 26, 2019 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Toom

1000+ Head-Fier
Currently. I am rocking my Andromedas when I do a gym session, but I am aware they might not last forever this way.

So if I had a couple of hundred quid to spend on some decent sounding solid build IEMs, where would you steer me?

Jan 26, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 11
Currently. I am rocking my Andromedas when I do a gym session, but I am aware they might not last forever this way.

So if I had a couple of hundred quid to spend on some decent sounding solid build IEMs, where would you steer me?
Personally I use either the Jabra Elite 65t, or the Massdrop Planamics.
Like you I used to use the Andromeda's, but to save them I switched to using these two.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 11
Cheers. Whats the sq, comfort and battery life like on the Jabras?
The sound quality isn't bad for a bluetooth pair, obviously not as good as the Andromeda but it's more than acceptable for gym use.

Comfort, well that's very much a personal thing, for me it's fine.

Battery life for a true wireless set is the best available (unless new models are out that I've not seen) it advertises 5 hours and I am seeing around that.

FWIW, I am very happy with them

I hope this helps

Steve

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 11
I have a bunch of KZ ZS6 for that purpose, with some EQ they sound great, plus they are cheap enough to not care when they break, and they do break, currently on my 3rd pair. I work out a lot, these are taking liters of sweat 2 hours a day, every day, I wouldn't subject any of my other IEMs to this. My previous ZS6 was rusted and oxidized to bits in a few months. How the hell are those BAs in Andromeda not being destroyed by sweat?

Jan 27, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 11
I have a bunch of KZ ZS6 for that purpose, with some EQ they sound great, plus they are cheap enough to not care when they break, and they do break, currently on my 3rd pair. I work out a lot, these are taking liters of sweat 2 hours a day, every day, I wouldn't subject any of my other IEMs to this. My previous ZS6 was rusted and oxidized to bits in a few months. How the hell are those BAs in Andromeda not being destroyed by sweat?

Ha - how the hell can you work out for 2 hours a day every day?

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #8 of 11
I recently started working on a short series of reviews where I want to look at the best training gear for an audiophile. I have not yet gone far into it, but this is what I use at the moment:

M0_E4000.png
Shanling M0 + Final E4000

The sound is excellent for training, the form factor works brilliantly, and my only reservation so far is about the MMCX connectors on the E4000. I used them while running in the pouring rain a couple of times and have since then been experiencing some cut-outs of the sound. Nothing too bad, but I am not sure if it will get worse (my reviews include an endurance test, so no babying :p).

If rain was not an issue, I would be very tempted to go for the Final E5000 and replace the horrific stock cable with a PlusSound X-Series, or perhaps even BT cable. Together with the M0 that is a very big sound in a tiny package.

One advantage of the E-series is that they are vented and you will get barely any pressure build up when moving around or pressing high weights. (I had that when I tried my Custom Art Ei.3.)

I would be really curious to find more IEMs in this form factor at the higher end. In a perfect world I would like to get the sort of sound of the Empire Ears Legend X into such a tiny form factor, but that might be wishful thinking. :wink:

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 11
Dont forget about the shures... sit flat, isolate very well, and perfect for long bike rides and running. Isolation is awesome on long bike rides, they allow me to focus on the music instead of wind noise. Plus very durable. I have shure 535 and have had zero issues thus far!

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 11
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 11
Dont forget about the shures... sit flat, isolate very well, and perfect for long bike rides and running. Isolation is awesome on long bike rides, they allow me to focus on the music instead of wind noise. Plus very durable. I have shure 535 and have had zero issues thus far!
I used the Shure SE215 for several years and those have indeed held up very well, especially considering I used them a lot on the bike while training indoors with sweat cascading off my head. My only problem was the cable, as I felt the memory wire was too stiff and pushed and pulled the IEMs a bit too much while running. I am still tempted by the 846 (perhaps with different cable), but don't have the budget for them right now. Would be a great option though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back